Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A lesson in costing!

nuklestrppr

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 commo with standard headaches.
Hi guys, bought a car from the wreckers 5 weeks ago, a VR.
It looked to good to bastardize, it had the usual wear and tear.
So, that screech in the engine bay, I reckon I can fix that. (here we go)
So I put in a new timing chain, I fix the sump leak, all should be well.
Fire it up, screech is worse. I pull of the front of the motor for the 4th time, i spy a bit of bronze flared out of the front main bearing, I stick in a feeler gauge, 0.2 gap on number 1 main.
Pulled the oil filter of, the new oil has flakes of minute bronze in the oil.
The noise coming from the cam was no timing chain issue, try a cam bearing.
New motor, F**K! So I scour the self serve wreckers for an O.K used donk.
I find one, pull it out, chuck on the back of the Hertz rent a ute, put it in the car, hook it all up.
Motor runs like new for 30 seconds, then, cough, cough, sputter, stall, clunk a clunk. F**K!
I check the dash alarm, 3 code twelves, then 34, Map sensor voltage low. (low vacuum)
So I replaced the ECU, Map, cts, cam sensor, o ring on the PCV.
Still, cough, cough, sputter, stall, clunk a clunk. F**K!
I am desperate now rip out the fuel filter, blocked solid, put in a new one, lousy - but it runs!
3 and 5 plug leads back to front, fix, better still a bit rough.
The plugs show dry fouling, still a vacuum leak, looking at IAC valve tomorrow.

Lessons kids, get your car INSPECTED by a mechanic!

The misery I have endured has had all my mates and family question my logic, failure does put all your hard work into a negative light.
I will persevere, I shall fix this bastard commo if it kills me!

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
Damn that sucks, gl with getting it running

how much does it owe u now with all the hassles?

nuklestrppr

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 commo with standard headaches.
Car cost a grand, 1500 in headache, the next guy who buys it won't have the dramas i did.
With any luck the new job will rain pennies from heaven and i'll get 2nd hand VE.

benno9911

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY S2 Exec
i think i got lucky when i found my 2ed hand motor for 350 then 200 for gaskets and seals + 100 for oils and coolet and 50 for the fuel 700 all up

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Sounds like my car. Got it for the lovely sum of $500 from the wreckers. Didn't realise gearbox was on it's way out, CAS was on the way out, alternator was on its way out, Link pins on the way out, rear upper control arms on the way out, Engine mounts were on the way out. Upon pulling out the old motor and box also realised the main rear seal was gone. Oh and the power steering hoses were cracked and causing small fires under my engine bay. Think that's everything.

Beno1982

Beno
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7L M6 sedan
My VS i had now for 4 years been a great car, mrs only got auto license so i converted it over to a manual so she could learn how to drive one, as i be debt free in july so i can go and buy myself a brand new VE SS Commodore, but in the last two weeks it been in there for new clutch kit, spigot bush, rack ends, tie rod end on drivers side, and now looks like centre bearing in tailshaft gone, all these probs just wear and tear still the original gear that was on car when came off show room floor but will be great car for anyone when i put up for sale in couple months time.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I know how you feel OP, in the 3 years I have owed my VX V6 I have, replaced basically all suspension components, replaced basically all brake components at least once, and rebuilt the engine. As well as fixing at least one 'minor' problem/noise at least once a fortnight. I will dominate this damn car even if it kills me.

Oh and now the steering rack is leaking. YAY.

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
this reminds me of the rx7 s1 i had for a while. got it for a steal at $2k, or so i thought until i had $4k worth of repair billls racked up. had to get the exhaust system completely redone along with the brakes, interior, suspension etc