Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A mate is saying save exhaust system money towards cams for my 175kw Alloytec?

JeremyF50

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rusty V8 Meat Wagon
Hi guys,

I'll likely be getting a VZ Acclaim in the next few months. I'm was planing to do my CAI+K&N filter and do the full exhaust system. A friend is telling me to save the money i'd be spending on a full exhaust system and put it towards upgrading my cams as I'll get way more power that way.

Is there any truth to this? I did a bit of reading about cams but it blew my mind for the most part and seems to be more common among the V8 owners.

While I'm here, will the ESP in my Acclaim need re-calibration or anything after performance modifications have been done?

Thanks

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
My advice would be don't spend any money trying to get performance out of an acclaim unless you want to go whole hog and go for a blower or turbo setup. Otherwise go for an exhaust and leave it at that.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Yes cams will make more power, but having an exhaust plus cams will make more as its a supporting mod.

Take it from me, I was running 13.5 with standard exhaust headers and cats, and only got to 13.4 with extractors and high flow cats. Says much about exhausts hey. 0.1 down the 1/4 is essentially not much gained

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Had a guy that I did extractors cats and a system, but he went backwards, was actually slower afterwards. But he also chucked a bottle of octance booster in the tank with 98 and wondered why it went slower on the stock tune.