Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A mate is suggesting AU falcon throttle body and injectors? And some other mods

JeremyF50

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rusty V8 Meat Wagon
Hi guys,

My mate has done some mods to his VS ute and it goes bloody hard (though he has his exhaust done too). He recommended me the same mods and has offered to install them for me.

- AU 4L injectors and Throttle Body (I've googled this, do the AU Falcons have 4L injectors have a lower flow rate and smaller throttle body than my stock VY?)
- Bosch platinum spark plugs (4 spark ones)
- 10mm spark leads
- MSD Blaster ignition coil
- A 'power chip' off ebay.

He's a young mechanic. He said the power chip isn't neccesary but he's recommending it for their ECU tuning software at his work as it allows for better tuning than the stock ECU. Will I get gains or losses from this stuff? His intentions seem good and maybe these would be an improvement for his VS but what about my VYII? We're going to get the parts on ebay and not through his work if we go ahead, and I won't be charged labour - except maybe a 6 pack of beer lol.

If we're going about this wrong, what would you recommend instead? These are cheap mods from what I've sourced on ebay. I don't have the money to do my exhaust yet. My car is a VYII V6 sedan (Auto). If this is a good plan, what sort of gains am I looking at?

Cheers guys.

Greasy Hands

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
YV II Acclaim, non daily.
I'm no expert on these engines, but I know you can buy bored out throttle bodies and maf sensors for the ecotec v6 on eBay quite readily. At least no butchery is required to fit non standard parts then and it still looks stock.

When I first got my car i considered this as the throttle body didn't move freely from closed - i discovered it just needed a good clean and adjustment of the plate and its been perfect since so never pursued the idea.

Also, comparing a ute to a sedan aint comparing apples with apples, bit of a weight difference there ;)

Last edited:

JeremyF50

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rusty V8 Meat Wagon
When he took me for a run he had a few hundred kilos of gear in the back and vowed to take me for another run when the tray was empty. From what I've read on curb weights with Falcons and Commodores, the utes usually seem to have a slightly heavier numbers than the sedans. No idea why, they seem the same from the B pillar forward.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Sounds like your mates talking out his ass. Platinum plugs will do nothing. Nothing wrong with OEM coil, plugs and leads. Get a real tune off mace not some bullcrap eBay power chip.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
sorry but your mates an idiot....

Must be an apprentice (e.g kid).....don't know many fully qualified mechanics that would trust ebay chips....I have seen what some of them can do when they lean out etc....an ebay tune won't work properly with a AU throttle body anyways as the tune will be for a standard V6 throttle body so a bigger throttle on a standard tune will do you no good at all.......even if the AU throttle body gave you any difference which I doubt...you would need a custom tune for the airflow of that particular throttle etc. (I wouldn't even think an AU throttle would fit...they would be entirely different mounting points/holes etc)

MACE do a bigger throttle body and chip to suit your mods....that would be where I would start......but you won't notice any gains on your car what so ever until you have done the exhaust to open it up......even then expect a couple of kw gain for all your trouble

You also won't notice a difference on a stock V6 with MSD/Platinum spark gear

Also a V6 that goes hard......that's a good one :p lol

Also remember that his ute will always be faster because the VS is a lighter car than the VY

Last edited:

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
74 views and no replies? =\
Was I supposed to post this in v6 modification? If so could a mod please move this?

Thanks.

Probably cause everyone was too busy laughing at the stupidity of your mate.

Like everyone else said talk to MACE. You will find Steve to be a fountain of info and he will be more than happy to give you good advice and sort what you need :)

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I'll go out on a limb from everyone else's advice, don't waste your money full stop. Without doing major mods (FI, cam and headwork) you are going to get miniscule gains at best with bolt on's on a V6. Save the cash for something else.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I'll go out on a limb from everyone else's advice, don't waste your money full stop. Without doing major mods (FI, cam and headwork) you are going to get miniscule gains at best with bolt on's on a V6. Save the cash for something else.

Agreed......either forced induction or 2 more cylinders.

Especially for all the P platers reading this.....keep your car factory until you get a big boy license.....cheap mods are pointless

Last edited:

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Agreed......either forced induction or 2 more cylinders.

Pfft since when does any V6 owner listen to that advice. You know he's going to spend the cash anyone regardless of the fact of minimal gains.