Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A professional photoshoot done on my car ... have a look

hwy747

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Berlina 5.7L / VW Golf GTi
Hey all.

I had a photo shoot done on my car over the weekend, and I am pretty wrapped with how it turned out. I always thought I could take a pretty decent photo of my car.....until I saw these ones and I am humbled. Have a look at the photo's and feel free to leave feedback. The interior shot also shows off Phreddy's handiwork with the red/white LED dash conversion!!

Photo's were taken by Angus from Angus Scott Photography! If you are interested in getting it done give him a buzz or shoot him an email!

(Obviously to attach the pics to this thread I have had to reduce the size somewhat)

Attachments

• Interior.jpg
    Interior.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 330
  • Farshotcopy.jpg
    Farshotcopy.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 396
  • VX Profile.jpg
    VX Profile.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 341
  • Wheel.jpg
    Wheel.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 314
  • Farshot copy.jpg
    Farshot copy.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 337

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
is it just me or does the light spread on the car look a little blown out

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
is it just me or does the light spread on the car look a little blown out

Was going to say the same, some very large hot spots there.

What lighting did he use?

Agnu

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Members Ride
VYII S Ute
Hey Iain, glad you like them mate. Lighting was two large diffusion screens which were used differently for every shot, with simple speedlights fired through. As far as hotspots go, they're not hotspots, but shaping lines created by the strategic placement of large surface lighting modifiers - in simple terms, they're meant to be there :).

As for the shoot information, i'm doing these shoots for free at the moment to get my folio up to prove my weight to a couple of clients who want to see what I can do, so for the next couple of months, if you take pride in your car and want these sort of photos done for free, flow me an email. All contact stuff is on my website.

Cheers, Angus.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
As far as hotspots go, they're not hotspots, but shaping lines created by the strategic placement of large surface lighting modifiers - in simple terms, they're meant to be there :).

I presume your using 1 or 2 octaboxes? For a softox/s and even shoot through umbrella/s to leave that sort of light source it seems far too directed and way overpowered. It is almost like a full powered burst of light without diffusion.

Would be interested in knowing the setup for this if your willing to share :) I have currently been using 3 westcott softboxes for night shoots getting setups right etc, i am not seeing any of these directional hot spots.

Edit:

Oops, just read re: difussion screens. Get yourself some octaboxes, around 80 inch should do., Westcott make great budget fold up boxes also.

PS: First shot of the interior is mint.

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Slammed VeeDub Rat and a Brunette...
The headlights in this shot are MASSIVELY Blown out.. You can even see the shape of the softbox used in the right hand headlight.

101263d1284360686-professional-photoshoot-done-my-car-have-look-farshotcopy.jpg

The headlights shouldn't look like that, done properly with lighting there should be no real evidence that the lights were there. The same goes for the side shot, the wheels are blown out to hell, you have lost all detail in them. Its all down to light placement, strategicly placed, or poorly placed, same thing in this case....

Agnu

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Members Ride
VYII S Ute
Doctor Sodways, fair enough mate to each their own - and to be honest i'm not as happy with that photo as I could be, and I understand what you're saying about the headlights. On the other hand though, your point about lighting not being obvious or visible doesn't make sense. Have you seen much of Easton Chang's work? He's my favourite automotive photographer and is my greatest source of inspiration. He often has lights being reflected in the paint-work, are you going to say that he doesn't know how to light cars either? I'm not saying that i'm a master of light, i'm far from it, but the lighting used here, especially that of the profile shot, has had a lot of thought go into it, it has not been by accident.

This thead is being hijacked though, let's keep it for Iain to show off his car, as apposed to discussing personal opinions on lighting which changes from every photographer to the next.

To get back on track - here is another shot from the shoot that I sorted out yesterday. As long as Iain's happy with them, and i'm happy with them - that's enough for me :).

4986131255_be654cb0d2_z.jpg

And a re-edit of the front on shot with the new headlights taken from an exposure where I didn't fire the flashes...
4985363628_e83e1a70a4_z.jpg

Last edited: