Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A proper way to drive????

A+d+a+m

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Series II R8 Clubsport Build 295
Just wondering.. i have a stock vs calais with a race chip on the ecotec.. its powerful for a six pack but i know its not the best =p

when driving this car in a drag (or anytime when it needs to be floored).. it goes well (like up to 130kmph in 2nd gear) but i was told that there is a "proper" way to drive commies to get the most out of the car.. like making it auto change at 4000rpm instead of the normal pre-tuned 5000rpm.. because there is no more real power in the motor when its a such high revs.. etc etc... has anyone else found some special way to drive a commie to get the most out of what it is?

hsvpunk

volunteer firefighter
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss II M6
bahahahaha.

Best way to drive your car is not floor the **** out of it.

when driving this car in a drag (or anytime when it needs to be floored).. it goes well (like up to 130kmph in 2nd gear)

LOL, yeah lets drag, and we all wonder why the hoon laws have been put in place.

:bang: tool.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
It may not have much more power after 4000rpm but keeps the same/bit more power and torque til the limiter so you want to keep it in that power band so if you change at 4000rpm then the engine will drop out of that max power rpm range.

pugga

More Power!!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 HSV Maloo R8
The "RACE" chip does **** all in the ecotec but ****s everything quicker, it allows it to rev harder putting more strain on everything, the ecotec not that strong motor when you flog the crap out of it and the Trans won't take it either. I had one in and got rid of it straight away. the car works better with out it.

If if want to be a Hoon and drag go else where for advice it not whats JC about.

And you don't need to floor the car to get power out of it it you are driving normally and within the rules.

If you need to ask how to drive your car you shouldn't be driving it!

A+d+a+m

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Series II R8 Clubsport Build 295
k 2 things.. first i was talking bout the quater mile not hooning u twats
second yeah i kno the ecotec can handle as much as the buicks nd all that but being a calais the trans is stronger than the exec commie as a stock.. i dont make it red line coz that is just stupid.. yeah i get that aye.. high revs in one gear carry over to the next to make the next gear have enough ballz to keep the car moving at a nice pace =p

clubby_you

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs clubsport
bahahahaha.

Best way to drive your car is not floor the **** out of it.

LOL, yeah lets drag, and we all wonder why the hoon laws have been put in place.

:bang: tool.

Really not required you just bring the level of the forum down that little bit more

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
Really not required you just bring the level of the forum down that little bit more

hsvpunk? no he doesnt. he says what many are thinking.

to the OP, im curious, what state do you live in?

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
You have 2 options here - talk to the other guys at the drags. They will know what they are talking about (and probably ask why you are there in a stock commodore)

Learn for yourself. A couple times a year I get access to a private airstrip. I used my first couple times figuring out the best way to launch etc.

In all honesty though, a stock v6 commodore is a slow car, and you aren't going to win bragging rights over anything bar your mates corolla. I just like to have an idea what mine is capable of (0-100, 100-0, things like that). Going to the drags regularly is going to be a waste of time and money

*so is dragging on the street, so don't take my comment to mean you should take it off the strip onto the streets