Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A quick 3.6L SV6 SIDI tune review

monkeyboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 SIDI
Just flashed my 2010 SV6 SIDI with a tune from MACE and thought other V6 owners might be interested in the results. If you drive a V6 and are wondering whether a tune from MACE is worth it, read on.

If you’re a V8 fanboy who regards all V6’s as pissweak wastes of time...you may want to visit another thread now.

I wanted to see if a tune could get my 2010 3.6L SV6 SIDI moving a bit faster. They are reasonably powerful...but roll out of the factory with most of that poke buried under one of the lamest factory tunes around. Tried revving it over 4000rpm? Smoking up the rears? Chirping the tyres in ANY gear? If you have then you know what I mean about how sedate the factory tune is. And seeing as a tune is the only way to unleash the potential of these engines and their transmissions...a tune was what I got.

Anyway, MACE had this modest combination to work with:
Pacemakers
Growler CAI
90mm MAF pipe
Quad mufflers

The tune I got consisted of:
20% reduction in torque management in normal shift
50% reduction in torque management in sports shift
Removal of the rev limiter in neutral
Altered/improved shift points and a general firming up of the transmission
A ‘ghost cam’...which allows the four cams to do their thing without being smoothed out. It results in a lumpy idle with three settings. It can be turned off via the cruise control button.

There may be some other things I’ve forgotten...

The results:
The rears can be chirped whichmakes a nice chang
It holds each gear until at least 7000rpm if you’re driving hard.
Shifts are super quick with almost instant gear changes. Grandma’s slush box is gone.
The ghost cam on the ‘aggressive’ setting is quite cool. A pleasing ‘blat blat blat’ with lots of quiver and roll in the car. The ‘moderate’ and ‘mild’ settings are good too. The option to turn if off via the cruise control is handy if you’re not in the mood for the ghost cam.

So all up I’m very, very pleased with the results so far. I’ll record some logs and send them to MACE for them to tweak the tune if need be. The car is much quicker off the line than before, can smoke up the rears if need be and if you really want to hammer it and get silly, feels like you’re being shot out of a cannon.
I tried driving it like an old woman and found it the ride to be very smooth and still quite sedate...but now I have the option of getting nutty and having a tune that will allow the engine and transmission to behave in the way they were designed, but weren’t allowed to by Holden when they rolled out of the factory.

So if you’re thinking of getting a tune for your V6, do it. For the price, it’s the best all-round package there is.

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 SIDI
Nice work there Dr HaxZaw :beer chug: ...without a dyno at my disposal the 'chirp method' will have to do atm. Chirping and the rear breaking loose at the drop of a hat when it couldn't before would indicate more power is getting to the ground wouldn't you agree? Power to the ground is a good thing.

And as far as being happy with the tune Steve...that would be a yes It's a completely different car to drive now. If it ever stops raining I'll get some logs and any necesary adjustments can be made. Cheers

Last edited:

I8.A4.RE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1 - LANCER MY10 - VE UTE
Seems like there are some good results to be had. Any downsides?

The 3.6L wasn't designed to be quick but economical. Even moreso with the S2 3.0L.

rowe147

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
where can i get a tune for my vz exec i live in melb and really need one

rowe147

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
and how much did they charge for the tune ?

monkeyboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 SIDI
The tune was $550...with logs sent to MACE and the tune adjusted at no extra cost (That's the part I'm about to do...the logging). If you gave Steve from MACE a call I'm sure he'll help you out.

Anyway, made some clips today. First off, I was mistaken about chirping 4th (obviously). I forgot to notice that the tune kicks the transmission down two gears instead of one. So I mistook the slip going into 3rd as going into 4th. Seems I forgot how to count properly. So it DOESN'T chirp 4th...that was a silly mistake I made.

Once again, sorry about getting that one so wrong.

Anyway, here's a 0-100 clip and the ghost cam thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n0qM...ature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKflL...KUjJrpwaH-WdPc
Should've taken off harder though...oh well.