Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

a stern warning to everyone out there

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
for those of you driving a older v series,i.e a vr, vp, vn, or a vl, read below

check your steering.
on the v series where the indicator stalk sits there is a brown peice of plastic, it has a bearing in it, nto a big bearing, but a bearing none the least. it colapses.
this makes the steering wheel wobble, nothing major, you all think the power steering rack is buggered, it's not that at all
when driving over small bumps or even the slightest divit in the road, it sends a vibration threw the steering, this inturn makes the steering colum colapes, as the steering colum seperates from the power steering attatchment just inside the engine bay, as it protrudes the fire wall, the steering colum is un-colapsable

when this happens, all steering is lost, you are unable to do any controlled braking, with inturn will only end in disaster. it is a $60 part, only able to be purchased from holden directly. i strongly urge all members to check there steering, turning wobble is ok, it's the wobble of up and down you need to wory about, check it, it could safe yoru life.

cheers
garth

V-ahhh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN/VT
thanks, its got me thinking now ill check it out.

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
thanks garth, that was one of the first things i replaced when i purchased my car, my dad said it wasnt necasary because mine was alright, but he said better safe than sorry for such a cheap part.

Cheers
MaT

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
Garth said:
for those of you driving a older v series,i.e a vr, vp, vn, or a vl, read below

check your steering.
on the v series where the indicator stalk sits there is a brown peice of plastic, it has a bearing in it, nto a big bearing, but a bearing none the least. it colapses.
this makes the steering wheel wobble, nothing major, you all think the power steering rack is buggered, it's not that at all
when driving over small bumps or even the slightest divit in the road, it sends a vibration threw the steering, this inturn makes the steering colum colapes, as the steering colum seperates from the power steering attatchment just inside the engine bay, as it protrudes the fire wall, the steering colum is un-colapsable

when this happens, all steering is lost, you are unable to do any controlled braking, with inturn will only end in disaster. it is a $60 part, only able to be purchased from holden directly. i strongly urge all members to check there steering, turning wobble is ok, it's the wobble of up and down you need to wory about, check it, it could safe yoru life.

cheers
garth

Oh great!! Gee thanks Garth.....That's all I need, something else that needs to be replaced thats gonna cost me money!!! :p

Nah, I'm joking, I'll check mine once it's going again, until then there's really no point. I mean it's not going anywhere!!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
graaaaaaa
I've been trying to figure out why my VP has a shuddering steering for months! and only on bumpy roads! its ace smooth on smooth roads but for sure something is NOT right

Keepleft

Mot Adv-NSW
Reaction score
Sounds to me like a design fault.

If determined, a recall could be in order.

IF a crash is proven owing the fault, I can see, rightly, actionable claim at law.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
dont kn ow if it would be a design fault, bearings eventualy have to give way, its what they do. i mean it is a 16 yr old part and prob is part of the preventative maintance that should be carried out, who knows.

anyone got a vehicle service log book that can tell me what needs to be checked at 200,000km for a vn?