Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A sub-forum for sheds, garages and tools

Should we have a subforum/subsection for sheds and garages

• Total voters

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Is that still the same VP you had back in the day on the SC forum?

pretty sure I didn't have the VP on SC, would have been VL, VN, VK Calais or a VR Calais back then. When did SC die?

But I have had this VP for about 7yrs now, and the other half has the VP ute as his skidder from this photo

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I'm genuinely looking at leasing business workshops til some court stuff is settled to buy and build a house workshop.

Mate needs to store a couple more cars , I'm running out of room and in a rental with a few vehicles being stored off site. If we spent $250-300 each a week we'd have it all.

I'm close to biting the bullet on that going I could get a small cash job in a week to pay the bills . Worst case scenario I think I'm willing to give a quarter of my pay up each week for a hoist to work on my own projects lol. That's how good they are.

our first workshop we leased had a hoist, our current one has a pit and double the shed size, and much larger yard, so we go halves with a mate now. he brought his own hoist to his side, and we bought one for our side. 2 hoists and a pit between us, and we still end up working on the ground sometimes :D

I am keen to build a house workshop and combine them as we are spread between home & the yard and its a pain to know I have the tool at the yard when I need it at home.

but the land size I want/need is not in the location I want!

but on mates & workshops, choose your workshop mate carefully....... you will also end up with a ton more mates as soon as you have a workshop & a hoist :D
We purchased a Joel's Garage hoist, and have been really happy if you are looking. We will be getting our 4 poster from them as well.

H

harrop.senator

Honestly I don't really have mates as I cracked it awhile ago because I got sick of fixing everyone's cars for free. But they couldn't even come drink my beer and hang out with me while I did my stuff.

Other guy I've been best mates with since I was 15 and to keep things good between us after seeing me crack it at everyone else.

He has me write down how long I take on his stuff and pays me $25 an hour and tells me to tell him everytime I get up to 20 hours. Is never rushy on projects and usually will come give me a hand each Saturdays whether it's his Datsun or some of my stuff if we're waiting on parts for him.

I've built all three cars he owns for him and he just wants to buy an apartment to live in near work. Then have somewhere to play/keep his stuff . His mechanical engineer brother will probably be over a bit.

But he's alright I rebuilt a motor for him while he was in uni still haha.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think the ideal is pit and hoist. I have a pit, now two hours from where I live. It was brilliant for what it was. So much easier than lying on your back pulling a trans or transfer case. Easy to dump the oil and really easy if you have a big beam and chain block like I have. Pulled an engine once with it and I couldn't imagine trying it with ramps ever again. I don't even own ramps anymore. But does have limitations like wheel removal, using a floor jack.
Most frustrating part about a pit is climbing out and in again because the spanner didn't fit....

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Honestly I don't really have mates as I cracked it awhile ago because I got sick of fixing everyone's cars for free. But they couldn't even come drink my beer and hang out with me while I did my stuff.

Other guy I've been best mates with since I was 15 and to keep things good between us after seeing me crack it at everyone else.

He has me write down how long I take on his stuff and pays me $25 an hour and tells me to tell him everytime I get up to 20 hours. Is never rushy on projects and usually will come give me a hand each Saturdays whether it's his Datsun or some of my stuff if we're waiting on parts for him.

I've built all three cars he owns for him and he just wants to buy an apartment to live in near work. Then have somewhere to play/keep his stuff . His mechanical engineer brother will probably be over a bit.

But he's alright I rebuilt a motor for him while he was in uni still haha.

You will get plenty more mates when you have a hoist and/or car trailer.

I actually had to call time out recently as my VP has sat without a fuel tank for at least 3 months and with a stuffed fuel pump for 6 months prior as I never had a chance to get on my own hoist when I had the time between my other half & mates using it. Nothing like a mad woman losing her cool for everyone to back away slowly and carefully :D

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I don't have any mates so it might be good for me when I get my hoist......

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I think the ideal is pit and hoist. I have a pit, now two hours from where I live. It was brilliant for what it was. So much easier than lying on your back pulling a trans or transfer case. Easy to dump the oil and really easy if you have a big beam and chain block like I have. Pulled an engine once with it and I couldn't imagine trying it with ramps ever again. I don't even own ramps anymore. But does have limitations like wheel removal, using a floor jack.
Most frustrating part about a pit is climbing out and in again because the spanner didn't fit....

My struggles with pits is that I'm 5ft tall. Not ideally sized for using pits. I end up on a crate in the pit, so off the crate, then up the stairs every time I need something.
Another mate has trucks, and I found out truck pits are awesome for cars when you are 5ft tall :D

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I dug my pit about 100mm too deep. The Jeep was a milk crate job, the ute was mostly on the ground, with the occasional caravan step but that was pretty rare.

H

harrop.senator

Have owned car trailers , own a six tonne truck.

I've had one way favour mates so long I see it coming these days.

Even mum copped it. I've seen her four times this year and three of the times were to fix her car.

She tried to do me a " deal " of " I'll give you the clubsport on a Friday night and drop your caprice back off when it's done! That way I don't have to stick around on my day off."

Sure you can't be bothered sitting here talking to me and handing me tools while I pull 4-1 1 7/8" di fillipo headers, to replace a starter motor in your t56 car that may require shimming and then extractor gaskets , rocker cover gaskets and do leads and plugs while I'm there. Mean time you're out drinking with your mates?

Yeah cause that sounds like my ideal Saturday -_-

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

I learnt early on with my car trailer, something is broken on it and I haven't had time to fix it when ever someone rang to use it....Worked a treat. ;)