Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A tale of two tuners

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That's right it is about the money but when a supplier offers product X for what ever amount of $$$ than that product should be fit for purpose. If said tuner can't get a tune right in the amount of time allowed that is not the fault of the customer and it is up to the supplier to ensure the product is correct and fit for purpose.

VESSVBLACK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1
I'm surprised tuner A didn't lock the pcm,

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
That's right it is about the money but when a supplier offers product X for what ever amount of $$$ than that product should be fit for purpose. If said tuner can't get a tune right in the amount of time allowed that is not the fault of the customer and it is up to the supplier to ensure the product is correct and fit for purpose.
Spot on.
I'm surprised tuner A didn't lock the pcm,
In this day of age.. doesnt really matter anyways. Its simply an "inconvenience" to get into, doesnt stop shops now.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
This is not about the money, I paid around $13,000 for a supercharger, fitment and of course, tune.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
This is not about the money, I paid around $13,000 for a supercharger, fitment and of course, tune.

Not for you but rather for the supplier. You paid good money and can reasonably expect a quality product in return which in this case the tune sadly wasn't.

Like many cam/tune packages they probably used a generic tune someone has worked up to suit a supercharger, did the mechanical install upload the tune, run it up on the dyno to check AFR's and call it good. Sadly it seems they didn't even get the last part right :(

Good to hear it's going better now :)

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Tuner A has always had a first class reputation...... he was one of the original tuners on the scene.

Disappointing to hear.....

I see he is moving more into the GTR scene?

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tuner A has always had a first class reputation...... he was one of the original tuners on the scene.

Disappointing to hear.....

I see he is moving more into the GTR scene?

Correct, I have used Tuner A a few times before and he has a good reputation. But I had never gotten a second opinion before.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not for you but rather for the supplier. You paid good money and can reasonably expect a quality product in return which in this case the tune sadly wasn't.

Like many cam/tune packages they probably used a generic tune someone has worked up to suit a supercharger, did the mechanical install upload the tune, run it up on the dyno to check AFR's and call it good. Sadly it seems they didn't even get the last part right :(

Good to hear it's going better now :)

I wasn't there when it was tuned so I don't know but usually he does custom tunes.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Half hour on the dyno isn't really a custom tune there just isn't enough time other than to check the basics really. It sounds like they checked full power runs were ok and then left the PCM to sort out all the cruise areas which clearly were way out if the trims were maxed out and it was pinging.

VESSVBLACK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1
Correct, I have used Tuner A a few times before and he has a good reputation. But I had never gotten a second opinion before.

Custom tune, sounds like he flashed in a generic tune, ran it up on the dyno and gave you a power printout and charged for something , he hasn't really done like road tuning, cold start, fuel trims ect, at a guess he spent 10 minutes flashing in the tune, 30 minutes on the dyno. What a rip off
merchant. hes properly flashed in a wrong tune, I wouldn't be happy , ask him for a itemised invoice of exactly what and time he spent on the tune