Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A victim of Ethanol (E10)?

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
I have worked on countless carbys wether they have been on a car or small machinery and have seen what water does to them
But today was a first ,I was given a four stroke mower that wasnt going It had several problems that were easily fixed
But when I pulled the carby apart I found the whole of the bowl was full of what I can only describe as a clear jelly and absolutly no corosion .
I know ethanol with turn to jelly when it absorbs water ,so are all of the E10 horror stories true ?
I cant think what else would cause this other than old E10 ,unless he was trying to run it on gelatine

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
I have worked on countless carbys wether they have been on a car or small machinery and have seen what water does to them
But today was a first ,I was given a four stroke mower that wasnt going It had several problems that were easily fixed
But when I pulled the carby apart I found the whole of the bowl was full of what I can only describe as a clear jelly and absolutly no corosion .
I know ethanol with turn to jelly when it absorbs water ,so are all of the E10 horror stories true ?
I cant think what else would cause this other than old E10 ,unless he was trying to run it on gelatine
was the fuel bowl plastic? if its plastic it could be reacting with it? was it still in normal shape?

vsiicalais

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SV6 Storm
I highly doubt that E10 is to blame, I have been running E10 in my VK which I had for 12 months then sold, since then I have been running the VS on it (had it 4 years) and havent had an issue. Its still running after 350,000 km of ethanol fuel without a rebuild. It loves the stuff.

I see all too often people blaming E10 yet I know heaps of people who dont have an issue and they run it all the time too.

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
No it was a metal fully metal carby

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
I used to use all of the time without issue ,until I sold my last car and bought the L67 statesman and it just doesnt agree with it
Now with my mods I can only run premuin only

ausrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
00 SS M6/79 chev Monza
replaced a fuel pump in a rodeo the other week
fuel pump was great .the rubber hose that was part of the assembly however was like cooked pasta
would not use any ethanol blend unless the car was set up for it

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
the V6 VE i had ran great on it and the wife filled it up with E10 every week. But it is designed to be able to run on it. the SS is also designed to run on it, but uses more fuel.

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
I was thinking the cause of the jelly was E10 that was left for months /years to go stale because I know ethonol will turn to jelly in the rigth conditions

Has anyone ever had a car or something else in storage for a long time with E10 in the tank until it went off and found anything unsual?

sleek_vp

sleek_vp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
i run my vz on ethanol when i can and it seems to run better, it takes off heaps quicker and just seems to have heaps more power when i drive it compared to regular unleaded (which ran pretty average on it) plus its always a couple of cents cheaper so why not