Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A victim of Ethanol (E10)?

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
i ran my old engine on it for a while, it ran smoother at idle other then that I didn't really notice a huge difference.

I dont use it anymore though, the old VS just wasn't meant to have it, I cant wait to strip that old engine down and see if the ethanol did any damage to any of the alloy.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
I dont use it anymore though, the old VS just wasn't meant to have it, I cant wait to strip that old engine down and see if the ethanol did any damage to any of the alloy.

i highky doubt it, and considering the ecotec is cast iron, i wouldnt expect to see many alloy bits in it,

if it has done anything, it will be the rubber hoses in your fuel system

Bzerk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
I heard that Ethanol can leave jelly or salty deposits in filters and i dont think it has to be sitting there for years either. But its weird there's no corrosion coz Ethanol is bad 4 that.. so ive heard.... not that i use the ****.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I put E10 in my old VS once. Ran like crap then a week later the fuel pump died. Probably a coincidence but I never did it again

cracker

Reaction score
run my vl on it every so often, goes allright although theres a small difference between it and 98 i think

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
There are a couple of cars that have been setup for Ethanol and are very powerful. Power's there, as long as the vehicle is ethanol friendly!

ucrvme

[UCRVME]
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Holden VY Berlina
Hey Guys.
What this jelly like item you have found in the mower is SPB - stagnant petrol buildup most refind and oil based petrols go stagnant after 3-4 weeks without being circulated through a fuel system. but tend to leave a black muck which is designed to burn up like normal fuel eventually,
ethanol starts to go stagnant after 1 week or so. and that jelly is just the cane seperating from the petrol. this shouldn't be a problem just remove replace filter element and try not to use it for your mower

I've been working at mobil for 4 years and it might sound bias but besides from bp we are one of the only companies refusing to use ethanol as ITS ****

vsiicalais

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SV6 Storm
all VS commodores are built to run with E10, says so in the book, every time I change my fuel filter i cut it open to see what crap might be in it. I have found that since running E10 there is alot less crap in it and there is no jelly stuff or salty stuff in it at all.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Hey Guys.
What this jelly like item you have found in the mower is SPB - stagnant petrol buildup most refind and oil based petrols go stagnant after 3-4 weeks without being circulated through a fuel system. but tend to leave a black muck which is designed to burn up like normal fuel eventually,
ethanol starts to go stagnant after 1 week or so. and that jelly is just the cane seperating from the petrol. this shouldn't be a problem just remove replace filter element and try not to use it for your mower

I've been working at mobil for 4 years and it might sound bias but besides from bp we are one of the only companies refusing to use ethanol as ITS ****

lol Mobil do sell E10 man. In NSW and QLD. And at a managers meeting they said Vic and SA are next. They havent introduced it yet as they are having alot of issues with it, but the point is they do sell it. Still wouldn't touch it myself or reccomend it whether I sold it or not.