Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A whole heap of cosmetic upgrade questions

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Thanks, very useful stuff.

Does anyone know the answer to my question about the aftermarket taillight copies? I just want to know how they are, fit/finish and build quality wise.

I've never seen aftermarket calais taillights before, but I can't imagine they would be as good as genuine ones for that price. Might just fade a bit quicker than standard ones or something like that though

Disturbed_vegeta

I'd Prefer To ROAR!
Reaction score
Website
Www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VR Hsv Senator, VX SS, VZ SS Ute 6L, K9 GSXR1000
Ive never really been a fan of the standard rubber gear boot on the excs so I'd try to ditch that and get a leather boot from eBay. but i think auto barn sell similar ones but will needed to modded to fit sweet. i'd think that aftermarket tail lights would fill with condensation and water...but don't hold me to that.

theSeekerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II Executive Manual
If you ever see me in a Nissan, or using Altezza's, you'll know I'm dead.

Nah, seriously, I've got a pretty precise set of cosmetic mods in mind for this car, and they really don't belong in it. Right now, I just want to replace the tail lights, change to a clear boot garnish, partially debadge, put in the chrome berlina-style nostrils, and add the chrome trim to the window sills.

In the future, maybe lowered slightly and riding on a nice set of 17's. An SS front lip would be nice, too, if I could get a genuine one at a good price. I like the way this car looks stock, and I have no intention of ruining it.

dons vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
NEONS......................lots and lots of neons.

theSeekerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II Executive Manual
.....particularly by adding gratuitous glowy things (although I do like the higher model's courtesy footwell lights).

eXphoid

I have no license yet xD.
Reaction score
Website
www.exphoid.com
Members Ride
VZ executive & VS Equipe S2 Ecotec
IMO, i'd paint the garnish to match your car.
I like the fact that you're looking for calais styled lights. I bought some today for $15 on ebay. these ones are ending soon. I wouldn't worry about the reflectors as you can always by dye for $20 and make them nice again which is what i'm planning to do. As with your headlights; Phillips are nice but I recommend if you do a lot of night driving, try not to get ones that are so white as they aren't as bright and you see every drop of rain falling in your path.

Other accessories such as your gear knob and steering where are a choice thing. :whistling a nice 20% tint would go well too hehe

theSeekerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II Executive Manual
Yeah, I know that spraying the garnish to match is popular, but I'm not a big fan of the look - the lines just don't flow right, so it looks like the panel is mangled.

Have you got a link to someone who has dyed their reflectors? I'd like to know more about that.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Ive never really been a fan of the standard rubber gear boot on the excs so I'd try to ditch that and get a leather boot from eBay. but i think auto barn sell similar ones but will needed to modded to fit sweet. i'd think that aftermarket tail lights would fill with condensation and water...but don't hold me to that.

They are generally pretty good. I just drilled 2 TINY holes in each tail light lense. You could barely even notice them. That way any water would run out of them, and it would kind of dry the inside a bit. Never had a problem with condensation or anything after i did that.