Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A whole heap of cosmetic upgrade questions

theSeekerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II Executive Manual
Hi all,

I'm driving a VR II Exec, and I'm just looking to tidy up the exterior on the (reasonably) cheap. I've just installed a pair of the clear side indicators, and I'm working on removing the "Holden", "Commodore" and "Executive" badges. I've also bought some of the VR clubsport style lions, I think they look a bit slicker.

I'm trying to chase down some "nice" (er...nicer, anyway) hubcaps, I've got a couple of leads out on that, so we'll see how that side of it goes.

So, now to the rear end. Not going to put too much work in there, since I'm going to have a great honking P-plate spoiling it for quite some time yet. But I'm thinking about going to the Calais style taillights - anyone know where I can find some at a reasonable price? In the meantime, I'll keep watching ebay for a deal. Along the same lines, the red boot garnish "stripe" is hideous. It looks like it's possible to get a plain grey one - (New Genuine) Holden Commodore VR-S BOOT LID GARNISH CENTRE - but I'm not sure how that'd look. I don't like the colour matched look, personally, it just looks like the bootlid is a stupid shape - what do you folks think it'd look like sprayed a satin black, against a white car? I've also seen a clear version in a thread on here somewhere, which I liked - apparently they've been known to crop up on ebay occasionally, but does anyone know where they're actually from?

Next up, the interior. Most of the Exec trim is fairly inoffensive - not exactly luxurious, but I'm driving it, not living in it. That said, a few nice touches wouldn't go astray, and as such I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me what options I've got for improving:
  • The steering wheel (no airbag. Leather would be nice...)
  • The gear knob and boot (Manual 5 speed. It's a VR, so the knob is the screw on type. Again, leather would be nice...). Also the handbrake boot, since it'd be pretty tacky if they didn't match.

Finally, a question that's a bit practical for a thread about cosmetic improvements: Headlights. The high beams are adequate, but the low beams are pretty miserable - what's the best price/performance option if I want something that will last well and give better light than the originals? (In this case, I don't care about the cosmetic aspect - I'd rather stick to the yellow end of white, for travelling in rain and fog).

theSeekerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II Executive Manual
Well, I didn't end up with the hubcaps I was chasing, so I'm still on the lookout for some half decent looking ones, maybe VX Executive caps? Was looking at some VQ statesman hubcaps, but the price was rising and I didn't want to take a chance when I wasn't sure how good they'd look.

So, if anyone can help me, I'm looking out for:

• VX Executive hubcaps
  • Clear-indicator tail lights
  • "Clear" boot garnish
  • Chrome window trim - specific pieces, see pic below

So yeah, with the chrome window surrounds, I only want the 2 (per side) that are directly underneath the window. See the pic below for clarification.

Still open to other suggestions, too!

Attachments

• windowchrome-diagram.jpg
    windowchrome-diagram.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 208

theSeekerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II Executive Manual
Nah, my tires are pretty new, so I won't be looking at entire new wheels for a while yet.

theSeekerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II Executive Manual
OK, so I'm looking at the Rarespares price list right at this very moment.

I'm wanting a pair of chrome nostrils for my grille. My understanding is that they exist in two variants - the Calais version with the vertical bars, and the caprice version without.

But looking at this price list, there's:

VR-VS GRILLE SILVER/CHROME
VS CALAIS GRILLE BLACK/CHROME
VR-VS EXEC.GRILLE BLACK/SILVER

Now, it might just be me, but my VR Exec nostrils are charcoal, with no sight of anything silver in sight. Is this just a VS thing?

Anyway, if I want the ones with no bars, am I after the first one, "VR-VS Grill Silver/Chrome"?

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
apparently if you get hold of VS grills(i dont know if VR ones are the same)

and use paint stripper on the silver lip on them they are chome underneath, i dont know if its true or not but a made tried it on his vs and they worked

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
oh and VR and VS Calais have a normal style grill with chome edges- no vertical bars

VS series 2 Calais had the Vertical bars

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
If you want a headlight upgrade in terms of more light and not just a change of colour temperature eg blue tinge lights you see, then go to this site;

www.powerbulbs.com

Buy a set of philips or osram plus 80% or 90% respectively.

Anybody who has researched lights will know that going to a bluish globe eg 6000k will find that it is duller ie less light (lumens). Proper HID kits are exceptions, but even then, go for a 4300k HID kit as this is as close as you get to being pure white light.

There are many sites out there for studying headlight bulbs. I have done heaps of research and tried globes. My recently sold VS Commodore had Philips X-treme Plus 80% in the high/low beam H4. In the H3 high beam, you can go for the same, but if they don't make them then go for Osram Plus 90%.

I have just put Osram Plus 90% in my VZ Calais low beam H11 lights. They are 10% whiter and product a heap more light. Recommended by me. I would have probably have gone the philips in the H11 VZ lights but they do not make them in H11 in the philips x-treme.

Read about blue globes and different colour temp globes in the link below. They may seem to reflect better off street signs but they do not give you more light. And how many times have you rathered see a street sign from 200metres away? I would rather see a kangaroo standing in the middle of the road rather than a street sign or speed sign which is of no benefit as you are unlikely to hit them unless you go bush so to speak lol.

Lighting link below (very good reading for all those who say that blue globes or 6000k colour temp globes are better than standard globes with plus 80% or 90%);

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

theSeekerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II Executive Manual
Thanks, very useful stuff.

Does anyone know the answer to my question about the aftermarket taillight copies? I just want to know how they are, fit/finish and build quality wise.