Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

a

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
For #1, all wagons are R8's.
For #2, correct.
Can't answer #3, sorry, but not aware of any differences.
For #4 & #5 no idea; but the manuals are very rare. I think I've only ever seen 2 for sale in CarSales, and I've been looking just out of interest at least every 3 months since we bought our Commodore in 2015.
For #6, the ones I saw for sale were only asking about the same money as a sedan. But the older they get, the more likely they are to go to an enthusiast rather than someone who just wants to be seen in a nice car, so I think manuals will be commanding a premium by now ... I think they'd probably achieve an extra ~$5k, but that's really a guess.
For #7 ... it will, eventually. Depends how long you want to wait. If you're looking to go on hols before winter, you might not be going in the R8 Tourer, though.
For #8 I don't think there was a mechanical difference with the engine, although it appears the optional SV Pack (which takes the engine up to 340kW) was introduced for VF (the manuals I've seen for sale both had the 340 badge).

As for the "whether to Gen-E3 or Gen-F" question ... I don't think I can answer that (I don't believe HSV's published fuel economy in that comparison BTW - I reckon they'd be near identical & in fact if E3 got the under-body aero it's probably slipperier on the highway). I reckon they'd feel slighly different to drive, same as the VE2-VF difference, with the Gen-F being quieter & more supple while handling as-well-or-better. And the Gen-F interior is nowhere near as 1994-spec base-model Hyundai Excel. But hey, the Gen-E3 gets a proper handbrake.
I don't think the price difference between them will be as low as is shown on that RedBook page; if it was, I wouldn't buy the E3.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
I did a bit of research before and after buying my MY15 R8 sedan manual in May 19.

I saw no manual HSV wagons for sale, maybe one manual wagon redline?
Can't comment on E3 vs F. I wanted a more modern interior so didn't even drive any Es

The wikipedia entry is remarkably detailed for changes to the model, see below.
An addition I can make is that for MY15 they merged the SV pack with the R8, so you get slight power increase and black accents.

If you get one, you'll love it!

The ClubSport is the entry-level sedan in the HSV range. Based on Commodore SS. It is powered by a 6.2-litre LS3 V8 engine, with power and torque figures of 317 kW (425 hp) and 550 N⋅m (410 lb⋅ft). The ClubSport R8 (based on SSV/Redline) variant has a more powerful engine 325Kw (with an extra 15 kW (20 hp) of power and 20 N⋅m (15 lb⋅ft)) and minor visual changes compared to the standard ClubSport, including SV badges.[33] The ClubSport R8 Tourer is the station wagon version. All ClubSport models feature 20-inch wheels and standard six-speed manual transmission or optional six-speed automatic.

In November 2014, as part of the MY15 update, the power was increased to 325 kW (436 hp) for the base ClubSport and 340 kW (460 hp) for the R8.

In July 2015, HSV launched the limited edition Clubsport R8 25th Anniversary to commemorate the nameplate. It did not benefit from any performance increases but only extra fitments that included forged alloy wheels and special badges and trims. Production totalled 108 units (eight of which for export to New Zealand).[34]

In 2016, R8 model was reintroduced with downtuned LSA supercharged V8, rated at 400 kW (540 hp).

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I did a bit of research before and after buying my MY15 R8 sedan manual in May 19.

I saw no manual HSV wagons for sale, maybe one manual wagon redline?
The HSV ones are rare, but at least they were officially available ... Holden didn't offer a manual wagon of any sort for VF or VF-II, however yes I've seen one Redline for sale & figured it was either a special order for a very valued customer or someone was keen enough to convert one (either that or it was a mistake - it was a dealer ad, they could pretty easily have forgotten what the car was that they were selling & switched interior photos from a manual Redline by mistake, and the person placing the ad could have been judging whether it was manual from the photos without even knowing that it was extremely unusual).

An addition I can make is that for MY15 they merged the SV pack with the R8, so you get slight power increase and black accents.
Yes, but no manual wagon after MY14. :(
I suspect the two I've seen for sale had the SV pack because the Tourers were basically the most expensive Clubbie you could get, so they figured the extra cost of the SV pack was irrelevant given what they were already paying ... and being manuals they'd have been enthusiasts rather than just buying a big loud look-at-me. :)

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
The HSV ones are rare, but at least they were officially available ... Holden didn't offer a manual wagon of any sort for VF or VF-II,.

I didn't realise that, seems an odd choice given they would be interspersing manual sedans on the line?

.............. and being manuals they'd have been enthusiasts rather than just buying a big loud look-at-me. :)

I underestimated this factor. I'm from UK where probably 90% of cars are manual and almost everyone learns in one, so its nothing special.
I went for a spin with some local guys last weekend who have mainly older stuff. They finally noticed mine was manual. I got a bit more respect after that!

PS: notice you have a Regal Peacock car too, lovely colour and absolutely sold me my car.

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't like putting down the children of people I don't even know, but yours are just plain downright incorrect.
:D

The wagon's about 50kg heavier if I remember correctly (a bit more glass, a bit more metal, and the tailgate's steel whereas VF sedan has an aluminium bootlid). But the body-styles are very similar in feel, from everything I've read. All suspension, brakes etc is the same, and from VE onwards the wagon's the same wheelbase as the sedan.

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I didn't realise that, seems an odd choice given they would be interspersing manual sedans on the line?
There must be some cost-saving or they'd have continued to offer the manual to the few who'd buy one. It's hard to imagine that the parts required to fit a manual to a wagon are any different to the parts required to fit a manual to a sedan.
My guess (no idea BTW) is that they ran wagons down the line in batches, and there was a cost-saving in not having to do that interspersing.

PS: notice you have a Regal Peacock car too, lovely colour and absolutely sold me my car.
Yes, we like it, and I am jealous of yours BTW! :)
Not many around, being so close to black (and if you wanted black you'd have bought black).
Ours has a bit of a story, my better-half had fully anthropomorphised the ecomoo '95 VS Berlina that had served us so well for 10 years, it was Sherbrooke Green (which is a little closer to British Racing Green than Regal Peacock - but still metallic), and when we decided to get a VF she felt it was less like discarding the old car she loved if it was "the same colour". Except that MY14 was the last year Holden offered Regal Peacock on a Redline ... and we were shopping in mid 2015.
I scoured all dealer websites on the east coast looking for new or demo stock, luckily the ONE which was left was only a 1.5hr drive from home. :)
It only had 70km on the clock when we drove it, the reason they'd not sold it was 'cos it had this hideous faux-woodgrain vinly down both sides & a flouro green surboard on the roof to make it look sorta like the classic Morris Minor "woodie" ... we bought it on the proviso the vinyl would come off & we'd never see that vinyl again. :)
We did consider a MY15 Calais V as an alternative, but she didn't find the seats as comfy (which was good 'cos I wanted a Redline :)).

:) Also, how much better is the VF interior over the E3? Any differences in mylink?

I also read somewhere that the sound system is significantly worse in the wagon?
Maybe what you've read is about the Redline, not the HSV? Redline wagons miss out on the BOSE system, I don't know about HSV's. My personal belief is that aftermarket sound is a trillionty times better, and if I cared that much about it I'd just get better speakers & sub installed (which isn't much extra when you consider what a Gen-F is worth).

Google some images for the interior. The In Car Entertainment, SatNav etc system is totally different; frankly the SatNav works better in E3, but the whole unit & dash are better integrated in a VF. VE / E-series dashes look base-model-90's-Hyundai by comparison, but it's an appearance/ambience thing, it's not really any less functional (VE minor controls do have a tackier/cheaper feel but I doubt they're more likely to break).

Last edited:

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited: