Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Abbott Cable x instalment

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
G,day people i am Ben living in the netherlands and i imported a VR 304 + 4L60E and all i needed to get the engine working,its all in my european Opel Monza (Kind of a VK coupe Holden Commodore).

Everything is working fine except the speedo isnt working and i have brought me a Abbot cable x thing to run the speedo thats mechanical and working with W=694 speedo cable revolutions per km (australian cars on a VB as example have W=625).

Can somebody tell me where to the take the signal best from the PCM or maybe take it direct from the VSS and how would the setting be wenn i use a 3.45 diff and 225/45-17 tires that are 199.27cm round so 501 revs per kilometer.

I installed the cable x box allready under the dashbord behind the glove box,and its a pain in the ass to get acces to it so i wanne adjust it one time so who used this product before on a early commodore?

Greetz Ben

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Vr has a reluctor sensor on the box that goes to the ecu then the ecu outputs a square wave to the dash via a violet and white wire in the engine loom to dash loom plug beside the ecu. If your convertor expects a hall effect sensor style signal use the violet wire it is 1250 pulses per km

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Okay so on thats small white connector near the pcm i need to take the violet/white cable from and that is the signal wire that normaly go,s to my speedo in the VR?

I just take that abbott cable x and put it on somewhere in the car and wire it up and then i start messing with the setting untill i found something that i call accurate...(using my phone as gps speed meter to compare with that abbot thing)

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Yeah it normally feeds the vr Speedo cluster its pulses .it's the best place to grab the signal so as not to mess with the signal to the ecu and mess up the gearshifts.

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Its not working i mean i hooked this electric motor up to +12V wenn the ignition is on and earth and i hooked the signal wire up to the violet/white wire on the connector near the ecu.

I put it on my passenger seat with a speedo against it,i made a small bracket for that so i just need a square pin that connects cable x thing with the speedo so i can adjust easy it so it works as it shut and then i want to bolt in it place behind the glove box.

But that abbott box is not doing anything...I will check everything again,but that abbott thing is brandnew never installed....Might it be dodgy or does it miss the signal?

How can u measure if that violet/white wire on the white connector near the pcm is sending out impulses?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
How do you have the switches set 1st 5 switches off last 5 switched set on?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
It may not like a square wave output if it doesn't work even though it says it can go after the ecu in the instruction

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
Its brandnew (8 years old but never ever used just stored in the garage and the last 2 years in the car) and never used before,so its weird it doesnt do anything..

It has a self diagnose test in it where u set all switches off and than add power the led shut blink then but only wenn all wired are correct,and its not doing that.

I added plus and groud to the engine and it spins great,so i have a problem with my electronics or with my signal.

Can i take the vss signal from the wire that comes from VSS and go,s into the pcm?
I am not that good with electronics,so i better ask,then i have a good strong signal,and it shut be a signal that the abbott box reconises.

Wenn i measure on the white plug near the pcm on the violet/white wire the output is 9,25v wenn the power is on and the car isnt driving.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
when u test that 9.25v wire just push the car very slowly and if its all working it should jump from the 9.25v down to 0v (maby 1v max) and back up as the vehicle moves, if its not then u have an issues with the signal, can do same test with the signal from the sensor to see if it works (im assuming its the 3 wire sensor)

Gse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Opel Monza
I have a 2 wire VSS (normal 40th teeth wheel in a 4l60E) i will try this and see what my meters tells me.

But a 4l60E wont shift if the VSS sends no signal cause the pcm doesnt know the shift points,but my transmission works sweet and there are 0.0 error codes in the system,so i asume my pcm is okay...

Either way it doesnt work with signal the pcm sends out or the electronics in the cable x box are broken 1 of the 2,i will check what happens wenn u push the car slowly and see if brings any changes and then i take the signal straight from the blue wire from the VSS and see if that works..If that doesnt bring any change then i send the cable x back to the usa for repair..