Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

about ready to hit somthing, oil temp gauge still screwey

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Commodore v6 ecotec
would repco sell them or is it only stereo places? dick smith etc?

never herd of them before, i figure if im gunna re wire the ground i might aswell do it with all the bells and wistles!!

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
its wiring dude.... you prob have a shitty earth combined with too much current being drawn off the same power source, i put a led oil press gauge in my car at work and was unimpressed at how slow it reacted, once i sold the stereo out of it it responded instantaneously

dons vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
you should be able to buy at a few places like autobarn dick smiths even on the net? ill have a look for you

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
not sure mate could be few degrees could be 10-20 never really done the test to see my self just the theory is there thats all.
we normally always fit the temp gauges into the sump, but occasionally customer will supply a shitty screw on remote mount and it has ports for gauge in there.

check my ride for pics of my mounting. VN-VR have sheet steel sumps, VS onwards have cast alloy sumps. once my oil gets upto temp it sits on about 210degrees F. i run a 180degree thermostat with bolt on mods only and tune. i've noticed that once the oil is upto temp, coolant temps can rise and fall (when in traffic) but the oil temps actually stay fairly constant. here in NZ air temps are a bit lower so i guess running temps will be a bit lower also

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
wicked, ill look at getting one of those babys.

any body got any ideas on a good earth point? at the mo mine is on the metal rack thing of the center upright conson, the bit were the stereo etc go

obvoiusly i want to move it completly from here so where should i put it?

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
ust had an idea what about wiring the ground to the neg termanel on the bat? Would that isolate it enough? Would it drain the bat?

dons vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
yes will isolate fine, no wont drain the battery but last of all man haha dont bother going that far.
all you need to do is pick up a clean bolt on the chassis some where.
where abouts are the gauges mounted?

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
the gauges are mounted in the center upright, just above the stereo, i did what immortality suggested last night and cleaned all the earth points i could find and that made a huge differance!! on the weekend ill pull out tthe consol and clean and re ground the gauges and hopfully that will kill the last little bit of movement in the needle, i feel like a total dork for not trying this sooner!

i bought from repco a gold termanal (negative) and a brand new 4gauge earth wire with brass connecters, aswell as re doing the other wire to the terminal with a gold ring connecter, i also cleaned the earth point on the chasis and its made a huge differance, hopfull bu sat afternoon ill have them all sorted!! and if theres still an issue with the gauge moving ill just run it to the bat but as you said thats a last resort