Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

about ready to hit somthing, oil temp gauge still screwey

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Commodore v6 ecotec
I'm so incerdably sorry to be posting again on this but

I've just finishd pulling my hair out. As most of u know ive been having some issues with my oil temp gauge playing up so tonight I put in a brand new oil temp gauge and sender and its still doing it, not as much as the last gauge but Its still happening any ideas what could be causing it, any idea at all, I need to get this sorted

Again sorry

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
I assume the gauge is an electrical one with a sendor unit that you mount where the oil pressure switch is?

Can you explain exactly what is going wrong? is the gauge chasing up and down? or perhaps not reading, then all of a sudden reading high? etc etc...

Also, can you explain exaclty how youve set it up? what youve plugged where? etc.

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
it jumps up when I use the head lights, or high beams or breaklights it bounces with heavy bass or indicators, the old gauge did al that but on a huge scale it also got worse the longer I drove the car, at the mo the ground is connected to the speaker ground point as well as the other 2 gauges, power running from the number 9 fuse under the dash were as the others come from the cig lighter (that's were the oil temp gauge was running from but to see if that was the problem I ran it from the number 9 fuse wire) and other than that the other wire goes to the sender the other gauge had a dimmer but this one new one dosent

Any other info needed please let me know

dons vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
ah could just be your earthing point mate, earth the gauge out somewhere stand alone by its self. specially not on the speakers hahaha.

also put the temp sensor in the sump not on the oil pressure switch, as that's a pressurized port for oil and has also just gone through the oil pumps so will be even hotter.
take your temp readings from the sump.

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
It sounds like a wiring problem, i've seen tachs and other guages do this with flat batterys and bad earth.

Hope you sort it out

Ben

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
ah could just be your earthing point mate, earth the gauge out somewhere stand alone by its self. specially not on the speakers hahaha.

agreed.... Speaker wires, even though they have a positive and negative, are not a true earth on the negative... if you follow that wire back, you'll find the "negative" wire of the speaker goes through the stereo... you need to earth the gauge DIRECTLY to earth.

When i earthed my gauges, i put a ring terminal on the wire and earthed it where i mounted the gauge to the body.

also put the temp sensor in the sump not on the oil pressure switch, as that's a pressurized port for oil and has also just gone through the oil pumps so will be even hotter.

another good point here to... i didnt think of that... the only thing here... you'll have to drill and tap into the sump. BE CAREFULL that you do this in a place where it wont foul with anything you can drive over... for example... a large tree branch... last thing you want is the sendor to tear out and spew your oil all over the road...

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ill definatly gave a go at that, at the mo the sender is in a sandwitch adapter inbetween the block and a remote oil filter mount along with an aftermarket pressure sender I'll have a look at the sump idea, maybe in the sump plug? Should I earth all gauges in the same place?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

true, do you know by howmuch it elevates the temps. i've mounted my temp sender in the remote mounted oil filter. i realise that the oil is probably a little warmer then the oil in the sump but i'm interested to know by how much.

PSYKO, change the earth point

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
will do bro, once I get this sorted I'll let u no what my temps are (at the block) cuz I'd bet theres a diferance between the block and filter relocater

dons vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
Ill definatly gave a go at that, at the mo the sender is in a sandwitch adapter inbetween the block and a remote oil filter mount along with an aftermarket pressure sender I'll have a look at the sump idea, maybe in the sump plug? Should I earth all gauges in the same place?
should be ok and probable not worth the effort if there is no where to mount the gauge in the sump, as im guessing these sump pans are just pressed steel? which means you will have trouble tapping a thread into it and you dont want to rely on a dodgy screw in.
another option is to seal up a nut sert into the sump or get a nut welded onto the sump and then drill it out so you can screw the sender into the nut.
either way you will need to pull the sump off to do it as there will be metal all over the joint hahaha.
so like i said probable not worth the effort really.
and yeah thats fine to have all the gauges to the onme earth, as long as its a good isolated earth.
if you still have troubles with the gauges bouncing then try an earthing filter, there only 10--15 bucks from most stereo joints and it just goes in line like a fuse but can filter out any feedback from the chassis.

true, do you know by howmuch it elevates the temps. i've mounted my temp sender in the remote mounted oil filter. i realise that the oil is probably a little warmer then the oil in the sump but i'm interested to know by how much.

PSYKO, change the earth point

not sure mate could be few degrees could be 10-20 never really done the test to see my self just the theory is there thats all.
we normally always fit the temp gauges into the sump, but occasionally customer will supply a shitty screw on remote mount and it has ports for gauge in there.