Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

About to change out VE Omega MY09 Diff

VEdriver59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE, 09 of 2008, Omega, Auto, 3.6 Litre, 6 Cylinder
I've brought a new (scond hand) diff off Ebay.

I want to do a straight swap, out with the old and in with the new. I'm doing this cos the VE sedan had a clunk in the back of it since I brought it at auction year or so ago.

I'm 62 years of age with arthritis just as background.

I changed out a complete diff couple years ago on an EL falcon I had and that took me two days but this will be first time I'm going to try n swap out just the diff itself, assuming it can be done that way.

How big a job is it? How long might it take me? I'm a reluctant amature backyard mechanic. I'm doing it myself cos I need to save the 450 - 500$ quoted by two shops in Perth.

More importantly I need to know how to do it.

Would appreciate any link to a guide, tips, description of how etc. Ive looked around the net and this forum trying to find such. I found some good tips from Andrew_Guppz in a post on this forum dated the 19 March 2012. Also found some tips for a VZ on the forum, dunno the difference to a VE and how much difference it makes.

thanks in advance people.

VEdriver59

Reaction score
Members Ride
Forgot to add this is a stock standard 3.27 non slip diff

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
not hard, there has been a few that have a write up, google on here VE diff change you should find something, are you sure its not just the bush's or the donut on the diff flange

Last edited:

VEdriver59

Reaction score
Members Ride
Jacking up the vehicle

I plan on putting the front on stands and jack the back up with a hydraulic jack and then put stands under the sides.

I have usually jacked the back up using the diff. Is this still an OK thing to do with the VE as it looks a little fragile to me.

Thanks

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
I have usually jacked the back up using the diff. Is this still an OK thing to do with the VE as it looks a little fragile to me.

I jacked my VE from the Diff once, yeah it didn't seem very sturdy and I wouldn't do it again but the rear trolley jack points are not very well located (see page 6-10 of the owner manual)

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
It's fine to jack it up under the diff and then place your stands.

VEdriver59

Reaction score
Members Ride

VEdriver59

Reaction score
Members Ride
are you sure its not just the bush's or the donut on the diff flange. Didnt know anything about that as a cause.

I did take it to a bloke I think is a good mechanic. He put it on the hoist and got another bloke to put it forward reverse seveal times while he felt here and there. He said the lash was a little more than it should be but that he could feel another movement inside the diff.

Push come to shove I cannt beleive any of them but I have to do something as there has been a clunk in the back end since I brought it a couple of years ago and sloly getting worse. I feel it vibrating now but only very slightly at 80ks.

What causes the bush and donut to fail? and what are the symptoms?

VEdriver59

Reaction score
Members Ride
Been avoiding asking cos I was hoping someone might describe it, but what exactly is the donut?