Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS and standstill burnouts

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
irs is good for cornering and gripping the road, hence not burnouts.
abs should make any difference... can you switch the traction control off in the VS?
i didnt think there was a button

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
what an interesting thread i've stumbled upon!

My VP had ABS and IRS, and had no troubles spinning on any surface. I did end up getting a line locker to cut the back brakes, but it still did it even when i didn't use the locker.

IRS CAN be removed, but if its just for burnouts in your daily, its probably not worth it. If you were making a track car or something, then deffinatly.

To the comment about VXs not spinning past 2500, what a load of crap. I've seen with my very own eyes and have on tape a VX exec spinning past 2500, wouldn't say it was a Nats winner or anything, but for a V6 VX exec, it sure could spin em!

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
STEALTHY (purplemonkeydishwasher) said:
what an interesting thread i've stumbled upon!

My VP had ABS and IRS, and had no troubles spinning on any surface. I did end up getting a line locker to cut the back brakes, but it still did it even when i didn't use the locker.

IRS CAN be removed, but if its just for burnouts in your daily, its probably not worth it. If you were making a track car or something, then deffinatly.

To the comment about VXs not spinning past 2500, what a load of crap. I've seen with my very own eyes and have on tape a VX exec spinning past 2500, wouldn't say it was a Nats winner or anything, but for a V6 VX exec, it sure could spin em!
Won't do it in mine.. At all..

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
I'd say that ABS would definitely kick in and prevent you doing standstills. Try removing the ABS fuse. I could also fathom the possibility that Holden didn't expect people to do something as silly as use the brake and accellerator at the same time, and as such, didn't plan too far into what would happen.

On the other hand, they may have thought of that by the VX and inbuilt something that prevents you from accellerating with the brake pressed

BUT

The VX throttle is still controlled by cable, and therefore there is no way that the computer could prevent the engine from revving any faster without stalling due to fuel starvation.

Hmmm.... food for thought

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
STEALTHY (purplemonkeydishwasher) said:
this might have something to do with it!
Might, but I don't think so.. I always switch it to petrol when I try a standstill, but even then.. It wouldn't lack power..

Ecotec stock has 152kw, let's be extreme and say I lost 15kw with the conversion.. That's still 137kw at the wheels.. Enough to do a burnout..

But I couldn't pull one in my mates AUIII either.. Exact same problem, but could in an EL.. Like I said before..

I really don't think the dual fuel element has anything to do with this..

A

alex88

my mums vx lumina will pull a stand still skid with the brakes on and rev past 2500. and it's got abs, traction control can be turned off anyway. but it's got no hope doing any skids on a dry road without brakes.it's got 235 treads aswell

INSINR8R

INSINR8ED as well.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Clubsport R8
after much trial and error, this is the only option that made even a bit of noise. Brakes on just a touch, pedal to the floor, let go of the brakes then hit them hard. pissed off my neighbours though

A

alex88

just put the brakes on abit easy the throttle on , the car should start to creep forward, apply more brakes and throttle and it will start to spin

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
I see what spyper saying about doing a standstill with engine not revving past 2500rpm.
If you simply apply brake, then dump accelerator, the same happens in my VS Calais.

This is a good way to burn your fluid.

As I understand it, thats the nature of stock standard autos with fairly stock V6's.(VS - VZ anyway)

Think about it; in an auto, your driving force is transferred through fluid. at low rpm, there is a lot of give in fluid. you can rev your engine, but this will not necessarily involve movement of the wheels. as engine speed increases, torque converter tries to 'lock up' so to speak, which puts load on engine. Stock V6 will not rev over 2500rpm because engine is not powerful enough to rev any higher in this situation....
In a Manual your driving force is transferred through clutch plates, which when locked up theres no give, either your engine stops or your wheels move.

I think you just have to use a little style when doing your burnout; i.e don't fully apply brake, get a bit of roll, hit the brakes about 50%, transfer weight to front of car, then she should be away...