Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS Error Codes

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Error logs are a great thing. They will help you find intermittent problems and start you off in a general direction of where a problem could be. There is a great level of detail on the justcommodores site on checking error codes logged by the engine management system, but this does not detail anything about the abs system. The abs warning light is not as common as the check engine warning light. Reading through the posts, I haven't found any detail on checking error codes logged by the abs system.

So here it is. For those of you familiar with checking the engine error codes, this procedure is so simple its not funny.

Basically, to check the engine error log, you bridge the 5th (ground) and 6th pins in the ODB connector under the steering wheel.

To check the ABS error log, using the same trusty calibrated paper clip, you simply bridge pins 5 and 12 of the connector.

To find pins 5 and 12, start at the top left hand corner. That is pin one. Going to the right, you count pin 2,3,4 etc. Once you get to the end, jump back to the start of the bottom left level of pins and keep counting. Pin 5 is about halfway along the top row, pin 12 is a little left of the middle in the bottom row.

Reading the error codes is the same procedure (counting the flashes), except now, the ABS light flashes (as opposed to the engine light when checking the engine codes).

The ABS log also uses code 12 firstly, with any errors logged shown after that. If no errors are logged, the 12 will flash again.

Error codes for the ABS error log (VR/VS) are as follows:

12 Diagnostic system operational
21 Right hand front wheel speed sensor fault
23 Right hand front wheel speed sensor continuity fault
25 Left hand front wheel speed sensor fault
27 Left hand front wheel speed sensor continuity fault
28 Wheel speed sensor frequency error
31 Right hand rear wheel speed sensor fault
33 Right hand rear wheel speed sensor continuity fault
35 Left hand rear wheel speed sensor fault
37 Left hand rear wheel speed sensor continuity fault
41 Right hand front inlet solenoid valve circuit fault
42 Right hand front outlet solenoid valve circuit fault
45 Left hand front inlet solenoid valve circuit fault
46 Left hand front outlet solenoid valve circuit fault
55 Rear inlet solenoid valve circuit fault
56 Rear outlet solenoid valve circuit fault
61 Pump motor relay circuit fault
63 Valve relay circuit fault
71 ABS control module internal fault

The above guide has been verified on a VR/VS. Checking the error log on all models prior to VR/VS is the same for the engine log, and I would assume that the same can be said for the ABS log, would be happy if someone could verify this for me.

Above codes are also for VR/VS. Later model commodores may have different meanings for each error code and/or more error codes. I will try to get a list for as many models as possible. Any help from other members would be most appreciated.

kopper69

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Wow hey great work. Id give you some rep but I have to spread it around first :p

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
damn fine work koppers, didnt know about ABS codes..

wealth of knowledge!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Thats great work Kopper69. The most common problem I've seen with the ABS is when the ignition is turned on whilst the dashboard is removed - then the ABS check system cannot confirm the warning light is working - there doesn't seem to be a code for this?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I must agree with the others, excellent information. Why had this not been discovered earlier?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Nice work with this thread, i never new how to read the abs codes.
So now I can read engine faults and ABS faults, what about Body Control Module faults ?

andjob

GRNVSV6
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
i have a code 28 any ideas on how to sort this out? on a VS

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Just had a look at the VT/VZ service manual and the codes are all the same as the VR/VS