Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS Error Codes

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Just had a look at my manual for VT and VX and the codes are the same as the VR/VS
Error logs are a great thing. They will help you find intermittent problems and start you off in a general direction of where a problem could be. There is a great level of detail on the justcommodores site on checking error codes logged by the engine management system, but this does not detail anything about the abs system. The abs warning light is not as common as the check engine warning light. Reading through the posts, I haven't found any detail on checking error codes logged by the abs system.

So here it is. For those of you familiar with checking the engine error codes, this procedure is so simple its not funny.

Basically, to check the engine error log, you bridge the 5th (ground) and 6th pins in the ODB connector under the steering wheel.

To check the ABS error log, using the same trusty calibrated paper clip, you simply bridge pins 5 and 12 of the connector.

To find pins 5 and 12, start at the top left hand corner. That is pin one. Going to the right, you count pin 2,3,4 etc. Once you get to the end, jump back to the start of the bottom left level of pins and keep counting. Pin 5 is about halfway along the top row, pin 12 is a little left of the middle in the bottom row.

Reading the error codes is the same procedure (counting the flashes), except now, the ABS light flashes (as opposed to the engine light when checking the engine codes).

The ABS log also uses code 12 firstly, with any errors logged shown after that. If no errors are logged, the 12 will flash again.

Error codes for the ABS error log (VR/VS) are as follows:

12 Diagnostic system operational
21 Right hand front wheel speed sensor fault
23 Right hand front wheel speed sensor continuity fault
25 Left hand front wheel speed sensor fault
27 Left hand front wheel speed sensor continuity fault
28 Wheel speed sensor frequency error
31 Right hand rear wheel speed sensor fault
33 Right hand rear wheel speed sensor continuity fault
35 Left hand rear wheel speed sensor fault
37 Left hand rear wheel speed sensor continuity fault
41 Right hand front inlet solenoid valve circuit fault
42 Right hand front outlet solenoid valve circuit fault
45 Left hand front inlet solenoid valve circuit fault
46 Left hand front outlet solenoid valve circuit fault
55 Rear inlet solenoid valve circuit fault
56 Rear outlet solenoid valve circuit fault
61 Pump motor relay circuit fault
63 Valve relay circuit fault
71 ABS control module internal fault

The above guide has been verified on a VR/VS. Checking the error log on all models prior to VR/VS is the same for the engine log, and I would assume that the same can be said for the ABS log, would be happy if someone could verify this for me.

Above codes are also for VR/VS. Later model commodores may have different meanings for each error code and/or more error codes. I will try to get a list for as many models as possible. Any help from other members would be most appreciated.

kopper69

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Vr berlina 3.8 v6 , 1996 VS executive 3.8 v6
Hi, I have the abs code 61 ( pump motor relay circuit fault).

My question is, what do I replace to fix this error ?

A relay? And if so, where about is it found?

Cheers Pete

Last edited:

TONNER_JEZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 UTE
hi all,just wondering if theres been any updates on series compatibility...
does this paper clit work on vz models and are the codes the same..???
seriously need a code list for vz ....

Error logs are a great thing. They will help you find intermittent problems and start you off in a general direction of where a problem could be. There is a great level of detail on the justcommodores site on checking error codes logged by the engine management system, but this does not detail anything about the abs system. The abs warning light is not as common as the check engine warning light. Reading through the posts, I haven't found any detail on checking error codes logged by the abs system.

So here it is. For those of you familiar with checking the engine error codes, this procedure is so simple its not funny.

Basically, to check the engine error log, you bridge the 5th (ground) and 6th pins in the ODB connector under the steering wheel.

To check the ABS error log, using the same trusty calibrated paper clip, you simply bridge pins 5 and 12 of the connector.

To find pins 5 and 12, start at the top left hand corner. That is pin one. Going to the right, you count pin 2,3,4 etc. Once you get to the end, jump back to the start of the bottom left level of pins and keep counting. Pin 5 is about halfway along the top row, pin 12 is a little left of the middle in the bottom row.

Reading the error codes is the same procedure (counting the flashes), except now, the ABS light flashes (as opposed to the engine light when checking the engine codes).

The ABS log also uses code 12 firstly, with any errors logged shown after that. If no errors are logged, the 12 will flash again.

Error codes for the ABS error log (VR/VS) are as follows:

12 Diagnostic system operational
21 Right hand front wheel speed sensor fault
23 Right hand front wheel speed sensor continuity fault
25 Left hand front wheel speed sensor fault
27 Left hand front wheel speed sensor continuity fault
28 Wheel speed sensor frequency error
31 Right hand rear wheel speed sensor fault
33 Right hand rear wheel speed sensor continuity fault
35 Left hand rear wheel speed sensor fault
37 Left hand rear wheel speed sensor continuity fault
41 Right hand front inlet solenoid valve circuit fault
42 Right hand front outlet solenoid valve circuit fault
45 Left hand front inlet solenoid valve circuit fault
46 Left hand front outlet solenoid valve circuit fault
55 Rear inlet solenoid valve circuit fault
56 Rear outlet solenoid valve circuit fault
61 Pump motor relay circuit fault
63 Valve relay circuit fault
71 ABS control module internal fault

The above guide has been verified on a VR/VS. Checking the error log on all models prior to VR/VS is the same for the engine log, and I would assume that the same can be said for the ABS log, would be happy if someone could verify this for me.

Above codes are also for VR/VS. Later model commodores may have different meanings for each error code and/or more error codes. I will try to get a list for as many models as possible. Any help from other members would be most appreciated.

kopper69

b0tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 Sportwagon
Just tried this on my series 1 vx calais....didn't do anything at all. Abs light didnt flash like the usual code check.

Is there a different way to check on the vx?

tomr51

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
is the above procedure, shorting 5 and 12, the same for reading abs codes on a 2007 ve commodore?

wbraray

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs statesman
Fault code 63 - check plug to ABS Modulator for corrosion, check the two relays under front bottom cover

BladeOfTheSouth

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VY SS V8
Alert need someone special and brainy. My cars throwing up ABS fault codes 26 and 8. Not a typo, no ones heard of these

BladeOfTheSouth

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VY SS V8
Im hoping when I get to the car that by bridging pins 5 and 12 on the OBDll and counting flashes that hes wrong. That his expensive scan gear had trouble with holdens vy mish mash protocols.

I might get in a mobile auto electrician. So I can check hes got the right gear what scan tools diagnose vy abs codes for sure

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I thought it’s was pin 5 & 6 on these models to short out to read the codes,
correct me if I am wrong.