Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

abs fault and weird grinding from the front of car

[Linkin Park]

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
'04 VZ Executive, '98 EL Falcon, '95 NF Fairlane
hey,

Well we just bought a 2nd hand 2004 vz commodore sedan with 53,000kms

the abs fault thingy comes up and getting more frequent and lasts for about 6 seconds but there are no fault codes left so holden dont know what the problem is.

my second problem doesnt happen always but it happens when we travel around 40-55 kph 75-90 kph or 100-115 kph when slowing down or at a constant speed. there is a grinding noise kinda like a very soft constant train horn type of noise very hard to descibe. from what i can tell it is coming from the front of the car like the front wheels though you cant feel it through the sterring wheel and it is getting worse. dosent matter what road type.

Edit: Dosent matter if turning or going straight

i don't know if this is connected but the front wheels squeak even though about a week ago we had the brakes and handbrake adjusted by holden under warranty because of a tweety bird in the left rear.

thanks for any comments.

Last edited:

hail storm

Reaction score
Get your front pads checked,could be a tell tail warning for low pads(in ref to the noise).

[Linkin Park]

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Get your front pads checked,could be a tell tail warning for low pads(in ref to the noise).

OK. But forgot to metion this is when we are not braking

hail storm

Reaction score
Yeah that's cool.On some brake pads (not sure about vz) they have a small metal tag that hits the rotor when the pads wear down,so you get it checked out before you get to metal on metal.

[Linkin Park]

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Yeah that's cool.On some brake pads (not sure about vz) they have a small metal tag that hits the rotor when the pads wear down,so you get it checked out before you get to metal on metal.

ok. we are going too book it in for wednesday this week or tuesday next week. i was just posting in case if anyone has has that problem in the past so i could explain it better to holden

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
This may sound dumb but check to make sure all your wheel nuts are tight. Mine made a grinding noise similar to what you describe after i got my rims on. Thought it was pads so i went and bought some. Went to pull the front wheels off and both werent fully tight and my pads were still fine.

tja_bot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais A4
Could also be your wheel bearings. Was your car originally from a dusty outback area? I know someone who had a constant grinding noise in the front of his SV6 commodore. Took it to Holden and it turned out the front wheel bearings were just about dry, it was covered under warranty. His car came from out at griffith.

vinnycol

Reaction score
[Linkin Park];817514 said:
hey,

the abs fault thingy comes up and getting more frequent and lasts for about 6 seconds but there are no fault codes left so holden dont know what the problem is.

I have the same on my 05 VZ. Had it for a month and had the light only come on for a few secs 3 times now without the animation which is supposed to remain present till ignition is turned off and on again. Still under warranty so i'm gunna get mine checked out soon.

HUMBLZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
seeming we are on the subject of weird noises..has anyone experienced a weird noise when starting the car cold from the engine (alloytec)sounds like a little rattle lasts for about 2 seconds then goes away? thanx=)

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
seeming we are on the subject of weird noises..has anyone experienced a weird noise when starting the car cold from the engine (alloytec)sounds like a little rattle lasts for about 2 seconds then goes away? thanx=)
Thats pretty much a stock standard alloytec rattle they all do it, some more noticible than others But I have not heard one that does'nt