Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS fault diagnostics

bazagorokan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 CALAIS 2012, A6, 3.6
my vy ss auto 2003 has for 3 months now had intermitant ABS fault and CHECK ENGINE warnings come up on cluster . when this happens the traction control goes off and the temp gauge stops working . Yesterday I took car to my mechanic , who said he has latest updated scantool . He could not get the scanner to diagnose the ABS fault . Then I had a well known auto electrician , who has been in business for over 30 years try to diagnose the ABS fault . His scantool could not find the fault as well . They both told me I had to take the car to Holden to diagnose the fault . Does this seem right , has any other members had this sort of problem detecting ABS faults . Does anyone know where on the central coast NSW I can get the ABS problem detected other than just Holden service depts ? Any help from members is much appreciated , thanks .

malmensa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Wagon
I had similar happen. Stereo cut out as well, and I also had "check alternator" come up.

In my case, it was a shorted regulator, inside of the alternator. Luckily, I was close to home. Easy enough to diagnose, just throw a meter on the battery. Should be about 12V with the engine off, 14V with it on. In my case it was 18V, way too high.

Maybe you have a dodgy regulator? These are cheap enough, maybe $60 or so. Really easy to change on an ecotec, but a bit of a PITA on a V8.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
my vy ss auto 2003 has for 3 months now had intermitant ABS fault and CHECK ENGINE warnings come up on cluster . when this happens the traction control goes off and the temp gauge stops working . Yesterday I took car to my mechanic , who said he has latest updated scantool . He could not get the scanner to diagnose the ABS fault . Then I had a well known auto electrician , who has been in business for over 30 years try to diagnose the ABS fault . His scantool could not find the fault as well . They both told me I had to take the car to Holden to diagnose the fault . Does this seem right , has any other members had this sort of problem detecting ABS faults . Does anyone know where on the central coast NSW I can get the ABS problem detected other than just Holden service depts ? Any help from members is much appreciated , thanks .

Check the battery terminals

bazagorokan

Reaction score
Members Ride
I had similar happen. Stereo cut out as well, and I also had "check alternator" come up.

In my case, it was a shorted regulator, inside of the alternator. Luckily, I was close to home. Easy enough to diagnose, just throw a meter on the battery. Should be about 12V with the engine off, 14V with it on. In my case it was 18V, way too high.

Maybe you have a dodgy regulator? These are cheap enough, maybe $60 or so. Really easy to change on an ecotec, but a bit of a PITA on a V8.
thanks malmensa , the alternator is putting out 14:5 volts with engine running , thanks for answering .

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
abs module itself will be dieing very common issue

bazagorokan

Reaction score
Members Ride
abs module itself will be dieing very common issue
thanks delcowizzid for your reply , should I replace the part on the ABS module that the electrical connector is attached to or do I have to replace the whole complete unit ? Thanks again for your help .