Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS fault light on

myVRrules

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8L manual, VE Omega Sportswagon
Hi,

I've got a series 1 VR Exec. They didn't come standard with ABS, I think it was fitted as a factory or dealer option.

A little while ago the fuse (#9) for the Heater A/C Cont. overheated. Instead of blowing it melted and the terminals moved together to stay conductive. The socket also melted around just that one fuse. I think this may have occurred when a piece of paper temporarily stopped the blower motor. In the time since the A/C and heater have worked normally, although presumably unfused.

The other night I went to replace fuse 8, the stop lamps, and thought it was about time I fixed fuse #9 properly. I took the wires out the back of the fusehousing and reconnected with a 25amp fuseholder form the local parts shop (the two wires where black/red and light purple). This all went well and the brake lights, the A/C and heater, blower, etc. are all going well.

I disconnected the battery while I was doing the work, as you're supposed to.

When I restarted the car the ABS fault light was on and has stayed on since. I've tried the diagnostics described in another post, but I get nothing, not even code 12 - the ABS light remains lit always.

There is one fuse under the bonnet for the ABS, and a fusable link, and these are both fine.

Is it possible that the fix for the fusebox disconnected the power for the ABS module? I have re-checked this twice by eye and run a test light along all the fuses, etc. and can't see anything wrong. How do I check if the ABS module was getting power?

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd try and get hold of the wiring diagram for ABS in the VR - your local library should hold a copy - then you can figure where the ABS ties in with the fuses.
Good Luck.

myVRrules

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Hako,

I went to the library today and got the diagrams, and am now attempting to figure it out...!

myVRrules

Reaction score
Members Ride
It is working! The connector had backed off one of the terminals of the 'ABS over voltage protection relay'. Must have happenned when I moved the wires around to do the repair. Pushed it back into the connector and all was fixed.

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Vr berlina 3.8 v6 , 1996 VS executive 3.8 v6
It is working! The connector had backed off one of the terminals of the 'ABS over voltage protection relay'. Must have happenned when I moved the wires around to do the repair. Pushed it back into the connector and all was fixed.

Hi myVRrules, I need to find out where the abs over voltage relay is located please? As I have a vr commodore as well. And my abs off light is staying on as well.

Even if you can supply a diagram, or just in words.

Cheers Pete.

myVRrules

Reaction score
Members Ride
Location of ABS over voltage relay in a VR

pic.jpg

Hi, I think the photo should be attached.

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi there, I have located the above relay. When I leave the relay unplugged and reset the computer, then start the car the abs off light stays on when the car starts. But when I leave the relay plugged in after resetting the computer, the abs off light goes out when I start the car, until I bearly drive away from the curb, it comes straight on again.

Does this tell any one what it is straight away?

If not, I don't think the vr has the same relay else where in the car to try?

Can I use a multimeter to test a relay?

Any other ideas as I'm not sure what else to do.

Greggles_VS

The Noob
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Ecotec
Depends what previous steps you have taken? Just trying that fuse may not be your error just because it was his, have you ran a diagnostics check to see if you have the error code? If not I'd advise you do before you replace the whole abs system

myVRrules

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, you can easily test the relay. Do a web search and you'll get the details. My hunch is that its not the relay, but worth checking anyway. I think you mentioned that you had checked the fusible link and fuse 22 (which is under the bonnet) already.

Some of the wiring is common with the oil light - is it on then turns off once the engine has started?

It may make sense that you need to be moving to trip the fault light on, as the abs does a self check when the car is first moving. Sometimes you can hear this faintly when you take off if the system is working. I can't find specific details for holden but usually it is an issue with any of the sensors, the fluid pump, or the actuators that would trigger the light if they were malfunctioning in the self-check.

Is this any help?

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi myVRrules, I read what you have written, but I'm not sure where to find the actuators. I'm guessing the fluid pump is the abs system under the bonnet?

And are the abs sensors sitting behind the disc rotors?