Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS fault

Mattg1998

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
Hi all. Have got a 2006 VZ commodore with a ABS light on the dash. DTC relates to LHF wheel speed Sensor. Hub with sensor has been replaced but still has same fault occurring. Looking at ABS data whilst driving LHF wheel speed sensor is reading okay to the module. Has anyone seen this issue before. Could this be a module concern?
Cheers

Stars-VZ-SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS CREWMAN
VZ 06 V8 LH ABS Fault.
Guys, Whoever as many before and after will follow and look. Have had a traumatic day. Finally tackled soldering a bridge across my suspected ABS Lead socket. Twisting and shoving this lead together has switched off the ABS warning for varying amounts of time and travel. Thought/thinking after numerous LHF ABS Lead changes (over 3-4 years) that it must be in the body harness component of that wiring coupling. I fitted a wiring bridge and ABS fault was off till I tried it on the road. after much panic and frustration I decided to a LH ABS lead that I scored of a roadside VE wreck. ABS Fault was still on. I hooked my AUTEL up and looked for codes/faults and there were non. Roadtested as well as turning vehicle on and off and no FAULT Code. Thank you Lord! was in near tears. I thought ABS Fault was going to be permanent. Tested again just then all good. Moral is swap the lead numerous times with different ones! I have a small set but this one had never be fitted yet. On this issue, I have done everything BAR swapping out the whole wiring harness, (And I have one). I have done front wheel hub (sealed ABS) assemblies, swapped ABS Modules and I I have a couple model specific spare, just in case. Believe me I have done everything. These Crewmans are year specific as well. Various V8s Various year specific modules required as well, as best I know? I had tried and returned 2nd hand ABS modules from ebay which I could prove were faulty. I purchased a Same Thunder wreck and have all the important modules if need be. The place that opens and sorts out/repairs the earlier model ABS modules say that the 06 VZ model cannot be repaired. They looked at mine anyway could not fault! So with all these spares this one LHF ABS intermittent fault is a problem. There is nobody at all who can fix issue. Is there any resolutions of ABS faults in the Posts? Year specifically 06 Crewman V8 SS Thunder? Let me know if so, VY different as well. My fix today seems once again the changing of the lead LHF. Lets see how long it lasts. PS I did the same initially driving getting sensor results on an AUTEL. No irregularities observed.

No matter what I have done before the LH Lead has been the thing that worked got her reliable again.

Will keep you posted RE 'Fault Warning gone' how well it lasts!

Hope this has been helpful.

Starz

Attachments

• ABS-Bridge.JPG
    ABS-Bridge.JPG
    222 KB · Views: 130
  • ABS-leads.JPG
    ABS-leads.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 138
  • ABS-Module-spare.JPG
    ABS-Module-spare.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 125

Stars-VZ-SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS CREWMAN
Many tests now and ABS Fault is gone now. Suggest you collect LH & RH ABS from leads as spares. I suggest for some reason they go to crap. Fit one if no good fit another! then another, My fault has never been anything more than this (proven yesterday). But when you replace the lead and the same Fault occurs it send u off in all directions! Will keep you informed.

Cheers

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
VZ 06 V8 LH ABS Fault.
Guys, Whoever as many before and after will follow and look. Have had a traumatic day. Finally tackled soldering a bridge across my suspected ABS Lead socket. Twisting and shoving this lead together has switched off the ABS warning for varying amounts of time and travel. Thought/thinking after numerous LHF ABS Lead changes (over 3-4 years) that it must be in the body harness component of that wiring coupling. I fitted a wiring bridge and ABS fault was off till I tried it on the road. after much panic and frustration I decided to a LH ABS lead that I scored of a roadside VE wreck. ABS Fault was still on. I hooked my AUTEL up and looked for codes/faults and there were non. Roadtested as well as turning vehicle on and off and no FAULT Code. Thank you Lord! was in near tears. I thought ABS Fault was going to be permanent. Tested again just then all good. Moral is swap the lead numerous times with different ones! I have a small set but this one had never be fitted yet. On this issue, I have done everything BAR swapping out the whole wiring harness, (And I have one). I have done front wheel hub (sealed ABS) assemblies, swapped ABS Modules and I I have a couple model specific spare, just in case. Believe me I have done everything. These Crewmans are year specific as well. Various V8s Various year specific modules required as well, as best I know? I had tried and returned 2nd hand ABS modules from ebay which I could prove were faulty. I purchased a Same Thunder wreck and have all the important modules if need be. The place that opens and sorts out/repairs the earlier model ABS modules say that the 06 VZ model cannot be repaired. They looked at mine anyway could not fault! So with all these spares this one LHF ABS intermittent fault is a problem. There is nobody at all who can fix issue. Is there any resolutions of ABS faults in the Posts? Year specifically 06 Crewman V8 SS Thunder? Let me know if so, VY different as well. My fix today seems once again the changing of the lead LHF. Lets see how long it lasts. PS I did the same initially driving getting sensor results on an AUTEL. No irregularities observed.

No matter what I have done before the LH Lead has been the thing that worked got her reliable again.

Will keep you posted RE 'Fault Warning gone' how well it lasts!

Hope this has been helpful.

Starz
I don’t see that Crewman is going to be any different to sedan, wagon or ute on the front.

04/05 and 06/07 would be the only differences in operation with 06/07 using CANbus on many components.

Stars-VZ-SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS CREWMAN
You are spot on there buddy, I should have elaborated but did not think to, because I’ve just been affiliated with so many Crewman groups. Same goes I would expect for any the sedan or wagon variance within the dates of build. My experience relates totally to the 06/06 make.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
A crewman is essentially a sedan. Harnesses etc are all the same as comparable models in sedan. The rear harness is shared with one tonner.

I love how they are put together.
The dash harness has the provision for boot release so is same as sedan. The main body harness also has wiring for boot release and lighting.

The BCM does not have the pin for those circuits though. Would be good to play with it and get that available for a power lock on the hardlid.

Also I have gone to fit a wagon fuel lid. The fuel lid release cable etc fits in the drivers foot well. All the holes are there. The cable has plenty of length.
It came to me having to drill out a hole for the catch. I wasn’t game to do that right next to the fuel filler.
Might have a go when I pull the tank out on the Cross8.

Stars-VZ-SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS CREWMAN
Thanks for your input, Fu Manchu, reminds me of how harness’ had extra wires at places for options on the older vehicles EG HZ premiers & statesmans etc. With my thunder, It had no glove box lamp etc (while earlier SS models did). I scored a light and switch out of a VY wreck and ended up wiring it up myself. In hindsight after your words all the required wiring is probably sitting there somewhere. As I wired it up it is live 24/7. Therefore if glove box was left open by morning I would expect battery would be flat! Hummmmm being some 4 years-5 years ago, I wonder how I wired it up. I must add that it would have been done well and tidy, just like the rest of my electrical endeavours. Just another small point. My SS Auto thunder had the sports pedals (silver black dotted) yet the left foot rest was the standard black plastic job. I scored that out of the same VY wreck. So now I have three matching sports pedals. I always figure that they must have been skimping on parts??? Why would and SS thunder not have a glove box light when others do. And the sports pedal??? That seems cheap and nasty.

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
A crewman is essentially a sedan. Harnesses etc are all the same as comparable models in sedan. The rear harness is shared with one tonner.

I love how they are put together.
The dash harness has the provision for boot release so is same as sedan. The main body harness also has wiring for boot release and lighting.

The BCM does not have the pin for those circuits though. Would be good to play with it and get that available for a power lock on the hardlid.

Also I have gone to fit a wagon fuel lid. The fuel lid release cable etc fits in the drivers foot well. All the holes are there. The cable has plenty of length.
It came to me having to drill out a hole for the catch. I wasn’t game to do that right next to the fuel filler.
Might have a go when I pull the tank out on the Cross8.
I know it sounds like you’ve already committed to using a wagon fuel door but have you considered using a GTO fuel door setup? I’ve converted my car to an electric release. I got a LH drive electric fuel door catch and a black switch from either a Daewoo Statesman or Buick Park Avenue. Hardest part was heating up and moulding the seat cover to hide where the old cable handle was but you wouldn’t have that problem.
First photo is my VY Calais with the above mentioned switch but an easier alternative again would be to use a GTO cluster surround too. Shown in second pic

Attachments

• 2EB2D824-7703-43AF-94EC-5628C3D65203.jpeg
    2EB2D824-7703-43AF-94EC-5628C3D65203.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 45E22BBE-35D9-42CD-A73C-E9C483E81357.jpeg
    45E22BBE-35D9-42CD-A73C-E9C483E81357.jpeg
    625 KB · Views: 109

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Also, that black hazard switch. The entire world hates the red triangle.