Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS issues

Dipzee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Having trouble with an ABS failure warning after replacement of battery. Could these be related? If not, is it possible to turn off the warning beep until I can get to the mechanic?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I herd about this before, battery terminals clean and tight, also a battery sitting in the shop go flat so might be due to a low voltage battery, charge it up and see if the problem goes away. If it wont you may have to reset your ecu.

Dipzee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Thank you Trevor. Hubby was thinking maybe battery. What is ecu?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
ECU is the brains of the car, engine control unit to reset ECU is to take negative terminal off the battery. Pump the brake pedal till its tight. Turn the head light switch on for 10 seconds then off.

Dipzee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Great. So, after pumping the brakes and switching the headlights on and off, just reattach battery? I will give it a try and let you know how it goes. Many thanks

Dipzee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi Trevor, sadly this didn't work. The beeping continues. :(

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Hi Trevor, sadly this didn't work. The beeping continues. :(
Looks like you will need to clear the fault codes. You didn't blow the fuse when changing battery, its a strange one. Was the battery new or second hand and was it suited to your vehicle, I still think its your battery causing it as it thinks its failing.

Here is what other people experienced,
Hi
Am new here, found this from googling! We bought a 2005 VZ today and all was good but this evening it starts fine, says its usual 'system check OK' on the dash but then as soon as you start driving its got a error message up saying something about ABS error and then BRAKE flashes up after it. The brakes are working fine though. It keeps beeping this at us.
The car did not come with a users manual so we are at a loss as to why, what to do etc.

Any tips?
Well this is a very common error that's asked a lot but basically it relates to the battery in your car being on its way out, see if you can find out how old the battery is, as that tends to be the most likely of causes
However, it usually happens on start up/while your cranking or just after from experience, not in normal driving at less from my experience as i had this fault and ended up being a near dead battery, might wanna search the forums more there's quite a few threads about this fault, but ill bet its the battery

I had this problem in my ute on start up, i changed the battery and have not had it since.
Ditto. I get ABS Fault everytime I turn the car off but leave the keys in the ignition, and then start it up again.

Although, I had my battery tested, and it seemed fine, a little low on voltage, but the guy said it was perfectly driveable on, and it may be computer-related.
It's not a concern, but I would be worried if an actual error happens, would be a bit like the boy who cried wolf.

I get the same msg but only if i leave the keys in with the stereo on for 5+ mins. ABS works fine other than that!

its not always the battery - mine did it a lot and eventually the holden ppl gave it to the other holden ppl who had some electrical experts and they discovered it was caused by one of the sensor clearances being out of spec - they re-shimmed it and it was fine

I was getting error messages everytime I stopped at the lights. The car was fine, no problems braking etc. After reading this forum, I took it to a battery shop, they told me the battery was stuffed. I replaced it, and the errors went away for about 1 week, then came backed, turned out to be the oil sensor in the engine.
Holden charged me a small ransom to change it. $100 just to plug in the analyser to tell me the fault. Left almost $400 worse off.
But hey, its been fine ever since !

Reduced Performance aka Limp Mode.
I think you would definitely feel a difference if youre ABS wasnt working, so its just a computer/battery fault that personally isnt worth the trouble spending cash trying to get Holden to diagnose.
Just keep an eye on your battery voltage using the system menu and if it starts to get below 10-12v then you'll be looking at a new battery.

Had a similar problem mate,

simply got my self a new battery and problem gone,
if the original battery is still in there, its a good chance it is this

I got this fault once last year in the VZ. Battery has been replace now and the warning has not come back. The time I got the warning was after filling up. Battery died 2 months after that.

with the number of batteries being replaced that sounds like the issue

Well the end, hope you work it out, is your alternator working correctly like not over charging. Best if you get to a mechanic.

Dipzee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi Trevor, thanks for that comprehensive reply. We have a couple of unusual problems here. My husband has very poor sight and was the main driver of his beloved Holden. I drive a Hyundai and am unsure of the car feeling different because of the ABS failure. It feels fine to me. The local car Mechanic we use for services told us it was beyond his expertise and suggested we take it to Holden for diagnosis. I wonder if it's worth the effort but I am overruled on that. Thanks again for your advice. I will keep you posted

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
The local car Mechanic we use for services told us it was beyond his expertise and suggested we take it to Holden for diagnosis. I wonder if it's worth the effort but I am overruled on that.

Do that, and nothing else, certainly not "reset the ECU"!
During the battery replacement process (at a service facility) a step-in power supply is attached to the socket under the dashboard and provides unbroken power to the system during the battery changeover. Once the terminals are connected to the new battery, the system acknowledges its presence and advises you to remove the stand-in power. Then drive.

Any fault with the ABS is potentially very serious to your safety in an emergency braking situation . Take the car to a Holden facility for tracing and remedy.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
If you reverse polarity when fitting a battery, you can end up with a multitude of faults, ABS being one of them. As a rule, most ABS fault codes are hard set, meaning you need a decent bidirectional scan tool to reset them. At lease get the fault diagnosed properly, faffing about disconnecting the battery etc does very little.