Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS light on but no error code.

Thekayyceeful

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx wagon
I recently put my VX wagon in for a roady and while it was in i got the mechanic to check the lights on the dash that were coming on and off, there was ABS and traction control and I think engine - but the engin light may be off now because I just replaced engine mounts and rocket cover gaskets.
But none of these lights came up with an error code when the mechanic ran though them.
I still need to fix the centre bearing - by changing the whole tailshaft - and put in new radius rod bushes.
Could either of those affect the abs? And is there a chance that the light will turn off after those are done?
And would the ABS and traction control be connected?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The worn centre bearing and the radius rod bushes wouln't make the ABS light come on anymore than worn engine mounts and rocker cover gaskets would make the engine light come on. If there are no error codes for these warning lights you might want to have the ABS module looked at.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I'd look at the module too, makes the lights go bananas. Confuses mechanics too, lol because codes - what codes here have all or none of them.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
More than likely the abs module. That, or one of the abs sensors has called it quits. Not sure if this would bring up a fault code tho. I know on my old falcon, the light was on without a code due to a dead sensor, had to have the computer hooked up and do a road test to pick up on it from memory.

Dont get conned into forking out for a whole new tailshaft. They are very pricey...just find a business that specializes in drivelines/driveshafts. And get them to do it. U need to be careful changing the centre bearing on our tailshafts because the uni is right infront of it. If u start bashing the centre bearing off with the uni at an angle it can pop the little lock peins out that keep the uni centralised and set which will cause dramas.

Thekayyceeful

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx wagon
Is it something that would cause massivr safety problems. Or is it something that I can still drive around with? Because i have a mate offering to lend me some thing that turns the warning lights off for the roady so i can get it on the road and deal with it when i have the money (being a student on centrelink money is a bit tight) so i can stop annoying my mum by using her car all the time.
Obviously if its something that can put myself and other road users at major risk i wont go through with it.

Also with the centre bearing i got a tail shaft of a mate cheap, just have the put it in the car - but the weather is not making that easy.

Thekayyceeful

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx wagon
The worn centre bearing and the radius rod bushes wouln't make the ABS light come on anymore than worn engine mounts and rocker cover gaskets would make the engine light come on. If there are no error codes for these warning lights you might want to have the ABS module looked at.

I think my step dad also put it through a service and done a few other things to get the engin light off - but then again I dont know i havnt been able to take her for a decent since i put her in a for her roady and the lights come on at different times, so for all i know the engin light could still be a problem

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Is it something that would cause massivr safety problems. Or is it something that I can still drive around with? Because i have a mate offering to lend me some thing that turns the warning lights off for the roady so i can get it on the road and deal with it when i have the money (being a student on centrelink money is a bit tight) so i can stop annoying my mum by using her car all the time.
Obviously if its something that can put myself and other road users at major risk i wont go through with it.

Also with the centre bearing i got a tail shaft of a mate cheap, just have the put it in the car - but the weather is not making that easy.

Once you confirm it's the module they are pretty cheap - just have to make sure you get the right one.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Mine used to come on in my VX when the outside temp used to get over 30 degrees . Turned out to be a wheel sensor.

Thekayyceeful

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx wagon
How do i confirm weather its the abs, or check weather its a sensor?

Thekayyceeful

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx wagon
Bit of a silly question but can i just disconect the abs unit? No abs unit no abs problem?
Just until i get it fixed?
Just want to make sure that VXs dont have to have the abs to drive.