Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS light on

rossnguyen

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ss
Hi guys, would anyone have any idea why my abs light comes on when i dont even have a bloody switch for the thing??

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Hi guys, would anyone have any idea why my abs light comes on when i dont even have a bloody switch for the thing??

If it is staying on, there is an error within the ABS system, could be a faulty pump, computer, wheel sensor etc. You will need to check for error codes, have a look at the guide on this site, and then go from there, as you should be able to easily pin point where the problem lies.

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
mine usually comes on at random times when i start the car...im not sure why either.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
mine usually comes on at random times when i start the car...im not sure why either.

The ABS OFF light should come on every time you start the car, and then extinguish a few seconds later once the ABS computer has performed all the checks. You should also feel a pulse in the brake pedal when you first take off, I found that mine was most noticeable in reverse, when I first touched the brakes. This is the modulator performing its self check.

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
some times the ABS OFF warning stays on, unless i turn off the car and start it again =/

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
Guys.... It's really simple, if the light stays ON then there IS A PROBLEM. It's just like the check engine light, check the codes and find out whats wrong, and then FIX it.... you don't want the ABS to not be working if you need to avoid something or someone on the road!

jon_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
My ABS light started to come on a couple of weeks ago. Thankfully I found out how to read the error codes (from this site) which said back passenger side wheel speed indicator. On jacking the car up I found that the retainer for the cable had come adrift and the sensor cable had come to rest on the proximity wheel which was then chomping its way through the sensor cable (about 50%). Luckily no permanent damage. I plugged the cable retainer back onto its mounting point out of harms way. I then checked the other side which was the same – but no damage to the cable as yet. What then dawned on me was that when I had the diff rebuilt 3 or 4 months ago the service man (apprentice ?) probably did not replace the cables properly and just left them to drift around the axle bay. It is very unlikely that they would both become unclipped from their secure mounting points.
Moral of the story is when you have work done on your car, check that things are back together as they should be.

d5t2888

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 V6VS EXEC series 2
Hi everyone

My code is 2 quick flashes followed by 3 flashes. So is it "23 Right hand front wheel speed sensor continuity fault" from kopper69 ABS Error Codes thread? Please confirm. Thank you

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Sounds right - probably means the cable/connector to the RH front wheel has been dislodged or damaged. They are connected to the hub with a small bolt which retains the connector. If everything appears intact I would unscrew this bolt, remove the connector and check that its all clean and not corroded then re-instal.
The cable should be easily located as its the one thats not going to the brake caliper.