Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS Module Removal?

dmaifred

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT S-Pack
Allo All,

Is it ok to remove the front part of the ABS module by itself and keep driving. I was thinking about sending it in to one of those repair service places.

I removed the 6 bolts but there seems to be two little pipes(?) right underneath where it is very difficult to see/access. Also once the front part is partially off there are a lot of exposed valves/couplings. Is it safe to have them not connected while driving. (I would cover them to stop any dirt/dust getting near them).

HELP!

Cheers -Davo-

dmaifred

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT S-Pack
WAIT!!, Yes me agian. That thread although large doesn't quite answer my question re driving around with half the modeule removed.

Cheers

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
NO !! Don't even think about it. It's illegal.

ACEMonkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Acclaim S1
I'm not sure what you meant by front part...if you mean the black plastic part that contains the ABS and/or Traction electronic module, then yes you can take that part out and still drive the car minus the ABS and traction.

But if you mean taking out the ABS cylinder block itself, then I wouldn't drive the car if I were you - you would have no brakes at all.

dmaifred

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT S-Pack
Nope just the black electronic part.

DR BOB: reckons not a problem.

Cheers -Davo-

dmaifred

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT S-Pack
HEY All Perth locals, There is actually a local shop that reconditions ABS modules for $200

Look up Precision (auto)electrics in Welshpool. WIll post the number soon as I find the printout I left around here somewhere

Cheers -DM-

ACEMonkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Acclaim S1
I don't know about reconditioning electronic components...the ABS electronic module itself is encased in resin and plastic so its almost impossible to repair. I have a fair idea the problem with the older ABS module is the flimsy communication chip Bosch used during the manufacture of the modules which seems to give up over time, hence corrupting the communication line to the rest of the BCM and sometimes PCM of the car.

By their term "reconditioning" it is most likely to be a module that has been taken from the wreckers, so chances are, it could give up again in the near future. Bosch seems to have done some work on the newer modules from the version differences noted. It will still work with your existing ABS so there is nothing different there but as a personal opinion, I'd rather pay $500 to get one new from Coventrys and have a peace of mind.