Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS module replaced, but still no abs and trac cntrl. cruise control is ok

twents

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF evoke LPG
Hey i had the common fault with the vt's and abs modules where the lights on the dash would come on and the car would stall etc. abs, trac control and cruise control would not work.
I have since replaced the faulty module with a changeover one from ebay and have installed it today, but the abs and trac cntrl lights are still on but the cruise cntrl now works, so half the problem is fixed.
I took it for a drive and was still able to lock it up and spin the wheels so its not just a bulb problem. the cruise control works fine.
Is there something i should have done like reset the computer or pull out a fuse and put it back in?

the whole thing was working fine before the module stuffed up originally.

cheers Sam

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
i would definately try resetting the computer. unplug the battery for an hour. then do the idle learn proceedure. that MIGHT reset your dash lights. ill have a look in the workshop manual now to see if i can find something.

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
just looked then. theres not too much in the manual. it did say however to disconnect the battery when installing the ABS module anyway, so i would still try what i said above.
is it your brake warning light coming on or ABS light only. if its your brake light, you need to pump the brakes hard to remove the light. i hope that helps some. or someone can help you soon anyway.

p.s. there are a few other little bits and pieces related to the ABS that could need replacing too, eg., a switch that can make the light come on if the switch is faulty (which can happen cos of its being closer to engine and heat etc.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
I tend to stay away from ABS repairs (they cannot be repaired. must be replaced) as there is a lot I don't know about them. This is, word for word, the exact way that GMH states that ABS or ABS/ETC should be done.

"When bleeding operations are carried out, that involve the ABS Hydraulic Control Module, then specific procedures must be followed that require the use of Tech 2" Did you use a Tech 2 when you completed the instal? Apparently, the system can't be installed and bled correctly without Tech 2

twents

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF evoke LPG
I tend to stay away from ABS repairs (they cannot be repaired. must be replaced) as there is a lot I don't know about them. This is, word for word, the exact way that GMH states that ABS or ABS/ETC should be done.

"When bleeding operations are carried out, that involve the ABS Hydraulic Control Module, then specific procedures must be followed that require the use of Tech 2" Did you use a Tech 2 when you completed the instal? Apparently, the system can't be installed and bled correctly without Tech 2

thx graham for the reply, but as im not doing anything that involves bleeding the brakes and/or hydraulic lines, i do not need to use the/a "tech 2". the part im replacing should just be a plug and play type of unit, many people have changed them succesfully.
im going to try and reset the computer as slowandlow suggested.
cheers sam.

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
i would recommend doing the idle learn proceedure after the reset too. its easy as. chock the back wheel. turn off all accesories. turn on car and shift into "D" idle for 10 minutes, then turn the air cond. on (if u have air con, if not skip this step and the next 1 step), idle with air con on in "d" for a further 10 minutes, then select park and idle for another 10 minutes, then turn the air con off, and idle for another 10 minutes. then turn the car off for at least 30 seconds.
if this learn proceedure isnt done your car will run badly, and your engine warning light may even come on when driving

if the reset doesnt resolve your abs light problem, what graham said, probably would be it i think. just go to any mechanic with the tool, and they shouldnt charge u much at all to bleed the brakes and use the tech 2. (unless they are pirate scoundrels. haha) 40 bucks should get that done anywhere. good luck with the reset anyway, as that even cheaper..... free :)

these computer cars are a bit more anal when it comes to repairs than older cars. at least they have good air cond these days :)

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Manual LS1 Statesman & VT V6 Calais
you keep talking about idle re learn, but i have seen in many threads on this site over the years, the whole idle relearn thing does nothing on ecotec onwards, on older cars such as vn/vp/vr but not ecotecs

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
ok. the haynes workshop manual must be wrong then. how dare they suggest something is so important, when someperson on a website.... i dont know who, or with what qualification, says its not. cheeky professional workshop manual writers :D

beleive me, it DOES make a difference. i have had 1st hand experience in the matter

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The idle learn proceedure is not even mentioned in the gregorys VS ecotec manuals,it is mentioned in the VN-VP-VR gregorys V6 manuals though,Ive found theres no need to do the idle learn proceedure for the ecotec,the Tech 1 scantool shows theres no difference to the IAC steps at idle after the battery has been disconnected on the ecotec.It goes straight to the required number of steps for proper idle and then stays there,It doesnt "learn" anything ,if it did,I would have thought it would readjust itself after a while and change the step numbers a bit,but the numbers just stay the same.Even after a few days,they are still the same.Its the same when the A/C is switched on,the idle steps go up to a certain number and stay there,they dont change at all after the car has idled for a few minutes or whatever.Id say its completely different for the earlier V6's though,its mentioned in the workshop books for them models, I havent had a look at the idle steps etc after disconnecting the battery on an earlier V6,so I cant definitely say if theres a difference after a while with the earlier models.Id say there would be,as Ive also heard elsewhere a few times that it is necessary on the earlier V6's but not with the ecotec.I will check it out on an earlier model with the tech 1 one day when I get a chance, and see what happens with it as it "relearns" the proper idle speeds etc.Its probably because of the different computer systems running the ecotec,it is MAF not MAP based etc.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
ABS module is plug and play, all the lights should have gone out with the new one fitted.

I suspect you've received a faulty unit.