Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

abs module

VN - 089

Alkers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 3.8
hey guys,

I have a '01 vx ss genIII.
Recently the abs light, along with the engine light, trac/off light, airbag light, have been coming on with their chimes of course.
Now apparently they are linked to each other and when one is triggered they all are...
however it is causing my temp gauge to stop wherever it is when the warning lights come on.
I have holden look it over and they tell me it is the abs module.
Apparently a new one installed will cost over $800.
Is there any other way around this?
Is there any guarentees with reconditioned abs modules?

If anyone has any info on this type of error, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
well your ABS module can be removed. but you will loose traction control and abs, i mean there is a few out there without them, you will need to redo the brake lines though it would be just as expensive as a new one, reconditioned ones i don't think exist, never seen one before but someone might of. a second hand one might be an option. if you can find a written off VX Series I or Series II.

but since you have a Gen III it is not recomended that you ditch ABS and TCS.

did holden investigate the possible Engine Controller Unit(ECU) or Body Control Module(bcm) fault. that it could be as everthing is interlinked. not saying that holden is wrong. but it could be the BCM. as ABS and Traction Control are on the same circuit and the same module but the airbag light comes from the Airbag Module which is linked to ABS and TCS though the BCM.

i dont know i would start replacing the ABS module if that fixes it then good if not then i would look at the BCM.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
hey guys,

I have a '01 vx ss genIII.
Recently the abs light, along with the engine light, trac/off light, airbag light, have been coming on with their chimes of course.
Now apparently they are linked to each other and when one is triggered they all are...
however it is causing my temp gauge to stop wherever it is when the warning lights come on.
I have holden look it over and they tell me it is the abs module.
Apparently a new one installed will cost over $800.
Is there any other way around this?
Is there any guarentees with reconditioned abs modules?

If anyone has any info on this type of error, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys.
The symptoms you described usually indicate a problem with the ABS module. Does the oil light come on as well? Sometimes cleaning the terminals on the wiring connector can fix the problem for a while. Reconditioned ABS modules are often available on ebay.
VT, VX, V8 ABS MODULE WITH TRAC CONTROL C/O SERVICE - eBay, Other Car Parts, Accessories, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 24-Apr-09 20:57:27 AEST)

VN - 089

Alkers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 3.8
Yeah the oil light sometimes comes on as well, although the oil level is fine.

Thanks for your help guys... Will see how we go.

Cheers

adamandtanya

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt calais
vt abs module

had the same problem with my vt had it repaired and it been good for about 3 or so years this who did mine and the service was ABOUT

Robbo_c

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais II,2007 Calais V
Had mine replaced with a reconditioned abs control module about 6 months ago and its been fine since then.

spirto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice II
on VQ to VT it was usually to do with the relays on the ABS module.
might be worth a look to see if they are not fused out.

worth a try?

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
My auto shop does an abs unit for about 350 bucks. Theres two types one has 3 brake lines coming out and (ABS/Non Trac) and 4 brake lines coming out of moduale is (ABS/Trac Control. Holden parts at Holden seem to be way too expensive at the moment so look around for original new parts.not just at Holden.