Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS / Trac on-OFF, Oil, Engine Warning Lights on DASH

VX01SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-01-SS
Hi there everyone, I have got a VX SS 2001 Sedan. PROBLEM is firstly ABS warning light comes on then a few seconds later all others (Trac ON/OFF, Engine, Oil - like a bloodly christmas tree lights!) Then after checking all engine stuff - eg, oil,fliuds & belts still same thing. After driving for about 15-20 mins the lights all turn off (back to normal) but then repeat - ABS first, then every other warning comes back on after about another 15 mins. So is there any new information on this problem??? Or is it the ABS module problem and no real fix.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
It sounds like a faulty ABS module or a bad connection on the plug.

bricat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Calais 5.7 A4
Did mine about 2 months ago. Same problem. Changed ABS module. Fixed

ryno_vrx

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV enhanced Berlina
same thing happened to my vt ss, brought a reconditioned one from ebay and swapped them around within a hour. problem sorted

VX01SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-01-SS
Thanks everyone.... so is it an easy job that anyone can do or is it a job best for someone with more knowledge?? Will be getting new ABS module with traction soon. Hopefully that will sort the problem out...

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
Hey buddy, I recently did mine too.. Piece of piss job, you will however need to get yourself a set of torx screwdrivers. Other then that its a walk in the park mate..

Also if you are unsure of it being your ABS module, as I am sure you already know by now.. While driving around, or when ever it happens an it all lights up like a xmas tree.. Pull over an pop the bonnet (dont turn car off!), and disconnect the power harness to the module.. its black an has a red? slider clip on it, slide the clip far right an itll disconnect.. now put that some where it aint gunna get caught in the engine an go look at your dash.. You should see that only trac off trac low an abs lights are on, nothing else... if the engine light is still on even though the ABS module is disconnected then it is possible its your oil sender pump failing. But from what you just discribed it sounds EXACTLY like a faulty ABS module, it hapens too all of us man..

And replacing the module is easy, i think its 6 torx screws, and I think the size is 2.5? I can remember but easy fix man... $20 set from Super Cheap an your well on your way..

Hope this all helps bud

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
Also after disconnecting the power harness and you have looked at the dash, best to plug it back in before you set off driving again, would hate for it to fall onto your headers or anything.. after clipping it back on the car will likely either be 'magically fixed' for a few seconds or just go back to its normal annoying xmas tree self..

Another point to remember, while in xmas tree mode when the ABS is failing, no other information other then rpm and speed and head lights is relayed to your dash, your fuel will remain at a constant level to when ever the dash light up last and so will the temp gauge, so keep that in mind if you think your running on fumes or its a farking hot day an your out doing doughies coz your trac control is now perm off.. haha

enjoy

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Just leave it disconnected while you are getting it replaced. Its not long enough to fall on the headers or anything.

VX01SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-01-SS
Thanks everyone for your responses - has helped me alot.... Now the big question, HOW MUCH DOES A ABS MODULE COST??? spoke to local Holden and they are saying Original is $680 but I am sure a re-cond or non-genuie one is a lot less... Has anyone bought one recently and if so where from? Cheers!!!