Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Abs

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Would putting a different tyre on the back axle cause the ABS to bugger up?

I put my spare on due to the fact my tyre decided to become shredded.. and unable to drive on..

Now since then my brakes seem alot more different... I took it down a dirt road.. and applied my brakes.. it pretty much skidded to a stop.. now it wouldnt untill Im nearlly stopped...
Coming to a corner is annoying.. cuz itll try locking up to quick.. I cant explain it.. but its not normally like it..

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Different size rims / tread patterns on the same axle could cause the issue, also not too good for your Diff.

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Awh crap.. Prob best to keep driving to a minimal huh..
thanks mate

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
It is illegal to have two different tyres on the same axle for this very reason. If you have to drive your car with two different tyres on the same axle, then make sure they are at least the same height and width.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
My mate had a XF Falcon with 345's or something ridiculously wide on the rear, one went flat so he put on a 185 stock rim.

His dad borrowed his car on the weekends to go to church and while doing 100km on the highway only under light breaking it caused the car to spin around 3 times and end up on the side of the road in a dicth.

Luckily no one was hurt, not even the car. But they are now aware of the effects of different tyres/wheels.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Ah ****. I have a 17" and a 15" and the 15 is skiinier..

ABS detects wheel spin, the 15 will be turning faster and giving a false reading then trying to slow it down by breaking.