Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AC Condenser quote and recommended mechanics

frobekobe

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore
Hey everyone,
Just brought my 2018 ZB in to the dealership with AC issues (no cold air at all and hot air is not dry) and they've diagnosed it as requiring replacement of the AC Condenser + hose + seals+ regas. Including labour they're asking for ~$1500. Never done anything AC on my cars before so a bit in the dark. Is this a fair price?

And if not a fair price, got any good mechanic recommendations in Sydney?

I've got nothing against the dealership, just mindful of money at the moment. Cheers

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
How can the condenser be faulty?
Hose or seal can get a leak but unless the car has been smashed, you shouldn’t need a new condenser. It is just like a radiator of sorts.

A bit of a stretch for such a new Opel Insignia to need repairs of that nature. If it was made 15 years ago, maybe.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’d get a mobile gas/regas mob to come and regas with dye. The ac should work and then you yourself can inspect the various bits with a blue/UV light to see where the leak is.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Maybe meant to say compressor?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Or a hole in the condenser due to a stone hitting it?

TeePee53

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RSV
Hey everyone,
Just brought my 2018 ZB in to the dealership with AC issues (no cold air at all and hot air is not dry) and they've diagnosed it as requiring replacement of the AC Condenser + hose + seals+ regas. Including labour they're asking for ~$1500. Never done anything AC on my cars before so a bit in the dark. Is this a fair price?

And if not a fair price, got any good mechanic recommendations in Sydney?

I've got nothing against the dealership, just mindful of money at the moment. Cheers
What month 2018 was it first registered ? All 2018 ZB's first registered from July that year have a five year warranty rather than 3 and would be still under warranty.

frobekobe

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore
I bought it second hand but it was first registered end of May 2018, so did I just miss it?
I had a chat with the service manager there and the warranty from the dealership covered the compressor but not condenser hence the lack of warranty cover and high cost. He said there wasn't any damage but maybe I should check it myself tonight to make sure.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@frobekobe, even if the vehicle is outside the manufacturers warranty period, your statutory warranty under Australian consumer law requires the product sold within Australia to be of acceptable quality and durable. If the vehicle hasn’t been in a crash, I‘d say that a 4 year old car needing an aircon condenser and regas simply isn’t durable under ACL (and probably doesn’t meet epa and arctick requirements to not pollute the environment).

As to the comment about leak detector dye, I believe all modern vehicles have a dye pill added along with the descant bag and filter during manufacturer. The only time leak detector dye needs to be added is if major work has been done to the aircon system. So using a $10 eBay UV light in a dark garage will show up any leaks on any new car built in yne last couple of decades ;)

If indeed the vehicle wasn’t in a crash, go back to the dealer and demand this issue is resolved under your ACL statutory warranty rights or your warranty… If it was in a recent crash, go back to the insurance company that repaired the vehicle and tell them that this aircon defect was caused by the crash and as such should be repaired under you previous claim under their lifetime repair guarantee (because they should have checked that no small aircon leaks had occurred during the repair process)…

PS: added following

When buying a second hand car, there is also a used car statutory warranty, usually for three months which covers all things (bar a very few things clearly defined in legislation). Faults that are documented in writing and provided with the contract (before you sign) can be excluded. Also note that this law doesn’t exclude ACL so you still have your stat warranty (and you may still have factory warranty) ;)

Oh and any dealer or Holden Customer Care will be able to tell you the first registration date and the factory warranty expiration date… I’d also check with the first purchaser as to what is written in his contract as sometimes the dates aren’t set correctly on Holden’s system...

Last edited:

frobekobe

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore
Hang on, they said it will cost $1500 to fix it but it has no damage?

I assumed he meant not damaged from bumping into things or rocks and the like but maybe leaks? Kicking myself for not asking more details in the moment

@Skylarking I'm keen to look into this ACL matter now that you've mentioned it. I got it from easyauto so not sure how 'dealer' they are but ACL should take priority over any terms and conditions they may have right?