Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AC Condenser quote and recommended mechanics

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
my ac was leaking because of shitty quality seals and it cost 250 bucks to replace them and regas.

i would first start with a second opinion without telling the second guy anything about the first guy.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I would get a UV light onto the car as well so you know where the leaks are. Then take it to person two and see what they say.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Skylarking I'm keen to look into this ACL matter now that you've mentioned it. I got it from easyauto so not sure how 'dealer' they are but ACL should take priority over any terms and conditions they may have right?
Spend some time to educate yourself about ACL as it’s a great bit of legislation that can work for consumers (though GM/Holden doesn’t seem to give a toss about aussie laws). One way to learn is to read the “Sudden loss of power steering when driving” pinned thread within the VF’s forum since I’ve posted many links to legislation, etc… saves me having to reference such stuff ;)

Had a quick look at easyauto123’s web site but oddly they don’t list an LMCT number so not sure who would be the business name & trading name actually selling the car. Regardless, the seller’s ABN and LMCT numbers should be listed within the sales contract. As a trader selling stuff within Australia, ACL defines their obligations under law and no contract or notice can remove such rights in law. Their sellers warranty can be better or worse than ACL but can’t replace ACL. If they are not a vehicle trader selling cars, I’d think they’d be breaking a bunch of laws

As is, whether it‘s poor seals that have leaked or a pipe/hose junction that has leaked simply indicated poor quality design or manufacture so ACL should have you covered. You shouldn’t have to pay for the repairs in such cases.

As is, AC systems are charged with gas that is heavily regulated and really shouldn’t ever leak out from these sealed systems… Its definitely not a durable product if the gas within this sealed system leaks out in under 10 years.

Probably worth ringing Fair Trading and having a chat to them about your issue, dealer warranty, used car statutory warranty and ACL in the context of an AC system that should be sealed for life to protect the environment and the dealers attitude.

Probably also worth looking for the leak yourself using a black light and then getting a second opinion from another aircon joint. Then you’ll have a great idea who’s being honest or whether they are just trying to screw you over.

1qazwsx4

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore sedan RS
I noticed a hissing sound from my aircon and also felt it was not as cold as it should be. They claimed they couldn't haear the noise. They took the car for the day to double check and as expected, found a leak... My dealer was great, happy with the end result - got the part replaced and AC recharged all for free. Regardless of warranty (I live in NZ where we only get the 3 years) I would go to your dealer and fight over it cause having these kind of issues in a 3 year old car is rediculous.

frobekobe

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore
I went to get a second opinion from a local mechanic. Apparently he didn't do anything and it started working again. He connected a computer to it and it all looked within spec, he drove it to his other shop and back, left it on idle for an hour and it was still working. No leaks, condenser was ok.

Very strange. Guy didn't even wanna charge me anything cause he felt like he didn't do any fixing but told me to take it for the weekend and drive it around. Suspects is a intermittent sensor fault but can't confirm since in his perspective he saw nothing wrong lol.

I revealed I brought it to a dealership previously which probably explains why he saw no error codes. But he was equally confused why they'd say it's the condenser since it all looks OK to him.

Let's see how it goes this weekend then cause I'll be driving a few hours down the coast. Fingers crossed the mechanic is a wizard and the problem went away on its own

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I know exactly why the dealer told you that!!
$$$$$

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
He’s a wizard Harry.

Fredbasset

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais 2.0 DT
Ok. This sounds more common than I first thought. My ZB Calais similarly had a hissing sound on Monday - suspect it came from the air con. Had the car checked and holden service ctr says something is faulty with the condenser and require a replacement; under warranty. Problem is, they can only replace the unit on 1 March 22. Guess I have to tough it out in my sauna box for the next 3 weeks - not happy.

1qazwsx4

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore sedan RS
Ok. This sounds more common than I first thought. My ZB Calais similarly had a hissing sound on Monday - suspect it came from the air con. Had the car checked and holden service ctr says something is faulty with the condenser and require a replacement; under warranty. Problem is, they can only replace the unit on 1 March 22. Guess I have to tough it out in my sauna box for the next 3 weeks - not happy.
Get an independent shop to add some dye in the system, should be reasonably cheap. Then you/Holden can see if there's a leak and replace a hose instead of ripping out everything to get to the consdensor imo

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
Our 2018 ZB Calais has just had an A/C pipe and pressure switch replaced, all under warranty. The dealer picked up a minor leak in the pipe and also around the switch during a 60,000 km service. The A/C was still working fine, but when you looked closely, you could see the green dye around the pipe join and also the switch. Maybe they had a bad batch of pipes during production?