Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JedVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive S2 V6 wagon
hey guys, I’ve got a 2001 WH statesman l67

Okay so I’ve had my air con regassed professionally and pressure tested, there’s definitely no leaks and we’ve replaced the o rings with genuine ones, pressure checked it again 24 hours and still holds pressure

But the air con clutch will not engage

The high pressure switch is showing 5 v on two terminals but nothing on the other

The AC relay has power at the main power input and the relay coil input

The relay plug is not broken as we’ve tested it and even replaced it

We bridged the relay and that forced the clutch to engage

But we cannot get the clutch to engage any other way, even with a brand new relay

I’m extremely spun out, I’ve had auto eleccys look at it and they can’t understand what’s wrong, if it helps at all, sometimes I have electrical issues like my rear windows sometimes work, sometimes don’t, my number plate light occasionally turns off, several dash lights are out, once one of my tail lights randomly cut out

Thanks

ltdslip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2SS
A/C relay gets a ground ( AC enable) via the Power Train Control Module

Last edited:

JedVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive S2 V6 wagon
A/C relay gets a ground ( AC enable) via the Power Train Control Module

Okay, how would I go about checking this earth? I’ve got a multimeter and all the tools to access the pcm

ltdslip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2SS
switched electronically in PCM
hope attached diagram works..

Attachments

• 10b.pdf
    923 KB · Views: 304

ltdslip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2SS
if it helps at all, sometimes I have electrical issues like my rear windows sometimes work, sometimes don’t, my number plate light occasionally turns off, several dash lights are out, once one of my tail lights randomly cut out

Might sound weird, electrically unplug the ABS module & try it.

ltdslip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2SS
The high pressure switch is showing 5 v on two terminals but nothing on the other

From the manual... "The A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor is a sealed gauge reference capacitive pressure sensor with
on board signal conditioning. It provides a 0 to five volt output and requires a five volt regulated power supply."

ltdslip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2SS
if it helps at all, sometimes I have electrical issues like my rear windows sometimes work, sometimes don’t, my number plate light occasionally turns off, several dash lights are out, once one of my tail lights randomly cut out

What will doing this eliminate?

Do a search for ABS module,
Suspect ABS module sometimes causes weird faults to popup, I think the cars modules interconnect on a serial data bus.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
With weird electrical issues where computers are involved, diagnostics 101 dictate you disconnect the battery and after a few minutes reconnect it to force a cold reboot :p always worth a try ;)

If the AC Refrigerant Pressure Sensor is OK, though i can't find it in the wiring diagram @ltdslip provided, you need to trace out and test the wires between the sensor and all connected devices to find where and how it's connected (be careful if the components are not dumb 12v devices as you can blow the electronics).

In your tracing and testing, if you can't find a wiring fault, and the sensor is OK, then it must be the module it's connected to at fault. Either the module has some electonic driver fault or it's programing is suspect and it doesn't know it needs to be turing on (earthing) the aircon compressor (relay wire).

It's difficult to fault find if how and where the pressure sensor connects is unknown while the logic on how the compressor is turned is also unknown. You need a better vehicle technician to check things as it seems beyong the auto elecs knowledge.

ltdslip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2SS
A/C Pressure transducer connected to PCM

Master Reset also fixed plently of issues on 747's

Scan for fault codes?

Attachments

• 05a.pdf
    642.7 KB · Views: 240
Last edited: