Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ACCC - New Car Retailing Industry Market Study

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Found this quite interesting public submission.

Manufacturers have independent repairers shut out of what they are legally allowed to do.
Like a subtle extortion of sorts.

It's from Ultra Tune, who aren't my fav place, nor trusted for repairs and servicing.
This outlines some of the stories behind some of that.
Interesting seeing things from the other side of the fence.
It also raises questions about the future of car enthusiasts like us to tinker with more and more complex cars, especially in time to come when the current models become cheap to buy.
Servicing and repairing ourselves is sometimes the only way we can afford to keep the cars on the road.

Enjoy the read:

https://www.accc.gov.au/system/file...y%20Submission%20Part%201-February%202017.pdf

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I wonder if this information is withheld from owners and repairers overseas. Is it an indication of weak consumer laws here?

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
The '15 Mazda3 needs to be hooked into a mazda computer to set the correct level of transmission fluid. Thankfully it's sealed for life, never needs changing or checking apparently.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Sealed for life is bullshit. The XC Barina had long life trans fluid which was not intended to be changed. I serviced my daughters XC at 105k and the oil was utterly black. It was obvious that the long life oil had run its course and needed draining.

Just another way of shortening a vehicle's life.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Sealed for the life of the trans.... Not for the life of the car. Once it eats **** back you go for a new trans, planned obsolescence sadly.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
I guess it is possible to be drained, and there is a filling hole - as a thought, I wonder if one can make an actual disptick?

Failing that you'd measure accurately how much fluid came out and when you refilled I guess you'd put the same amount back in? Its how I change coolant......

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
No wait ignore that - I read my bootlegged workshop manual wrong. Derp!

You only need the computer to check the correct trans fluid temp required (45-55C). My guess is if you had a thermometer of some kind, a similar thing could be achieved.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
It's still getting ridiculous though the way technology is required for what used to be simple procedures. Do cars really need to be so complex, and the need to reduce manufacturing costs so great, that something as simple as a dipstick has to be deleted?

When I bought a Mk V Golf in 2005, I found that the oil filter needed a special tool to remove it. Obviously not something every garage or home mechanic possessed so home servicing was out and you got fleeced at the dealership. And there was no fixed price servicing back then.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I was thinking, you buy a car or farming equipment (or iPhone etc). Provided its paid for (No loans etc) you own the car. The manufacturer or it's dealer no longer owns it.

The car contains parts, that you own, that you can't access or repair without the previous owners involvement which comes at cost to you the owner.

It stinks.