Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Accelerator sticks open

Dyso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV Clubsport
Hey there. My recently purchased VS Clubby had the front engine cover in the boot when I bought it. I originally thought it was missing as the engine bay needs a good tidy up so anyhow, I went to drive down the road to quickly find out that the accelerator cable return jammed up and whoa!!!!!! Luckily I was on a long straight and managed the old neutral and ignition off roll into the parking lane trick. I took the cover off put it back on and everything seemed to be moving so I gave it a pump in park and it did it again. Is there supposed to be any spacers under the cover? Not sure why its getting stuck open.
355922801_6934179483263294_3815738255503704536_n.jpeg

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
@NORTI should know the answer to this conundrum, I should too but it's been to bloody long since I've actually had one with the cover on:(

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I haven’t had this issue with the standard covers myself. Did have it happen with a VT fibreglass one, a bit of filing sorted that out.

Does your front cover have the rubber stoppers underneath on the mounting poles? Can you see where it’s catching?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is it an issue with the cable catching or is it the TB itself sticking? I had a car a few years ago and after getting the TB wet a few times it would stick on at times. First time RACT mech sprayed it all over with a CRC like gear. It was good for a bit before it happened again. I used WD spray and IIRC it was fine after that. And yes it is scary when you suddenly hit 140kph and pumping the pedal doesn't bring it back under control, but makes it worse.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Hey there. My recently purchased VS Clubby had the front engine cover in the boot when I bought it. I originally thought it was missing as the engine bay needs a good tidy up so anyhow, I went to drive down the road to quickly find out that the accelerator cable return jammed up and whoa!!!!!! Luckily I was on a long straight and managed the old neutral and ignition off roll into the parking lane trick. I took the cover off put it back on and everything seemed to be moving so I gave it a pump in park and it did it again. Is there supposed to be any spacers under the cover? Not sure why its getting stuck open. View attachment 257296
Yeah, either the throttle cam is sitting higher, or the cover is sitting lower, or pinching the cable itself.
Do you have the little rubber ball feet on the pillars on the bottom side of the cover?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
You need to ensure that the throttle cable has 10-15mm of play, otherwise you may get the symptoms you are experiencing.

1694592213154.png

Dyso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV Clubsport
Yeah, either the throttle cam is sitting higher, or the cover is sitting lower, or pinching the cable itself.
Do you have the little rubber ball feet on the pillars on the bottom side of the cover?
There is some flat rubber on the bottom of the pillars. Maybe it flogged out, I would not be saying they were rounded like "balls" at all

Dyso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV Clubsport
Is it an issue with the cable catching or is it the TB itself sticking? I had a car a few years ago and after getting the TB wet a few times it would stick on at times. First time RACT mech sprayed it all over with a CRC like gear. It was good for a bit before it happened again. I used WD spray and IIRC it was fine after that. And yes it is scary when you suddenly hit 140kph and pumping the pedal doesn't bring it back under control, but makes it worse.
Seems to work nice and smooth without the cover on