Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Accessories/Cigarette lighter socket

iainsimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
We have a VZ Wagon and, as far as I have ever been able to ascertain, the only Cigarette Lighter/accessories socket is the one in the Centre console storage compartment.
Currently we run a cord to a multi outlet adapter which we sit in the front centre in front of the Shift bar.
I have noticed that there are actually seperate fuses for 'Cigar Lighter' and 'Accessories' in the fusebox. I'm wondering why this is? Is there a hidden outlet somewhere? If not, is there wiring in place that I could easily connect a new, permanent, outlet to?

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
There was an option called "Smokers pack", the plug for it is under the console below the radio, has 12v going to it.

iainsimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
There was an option called "Smokers pack", the plug for it is under the console below the radio, has 12v going to it.

So for vehicles like mine, which have the storage compartment instead of the ashtray, are you saying the wiring and plug (socket) are already there behind the console and it just needs to be drawn out and mounted in a suitable location?
What would be the easiest way to get to it?

iainsimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
20170528_143940.jpg

Is this the connector?
If it is, I'm wondering why it is a 3 pin connector, not 2 pin. I can't see any other vacant connector from the driver's side.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Pos, Neg and Lighting are the reason for the three wires.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I used this plug to wire up the centre console light.
I had a 3 pin connector that fitted, made a loom, fitted the connector at the other end, plugged it into the loom for a console light.
Looks almost factory.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I mounted two extra sockets in my VY Berlina a few years ago. I removed the small compartment at the rear of the console, fitted a fixed blanking plate and mounted one there for the kid's DVD players. The second one was fitted into the blanking plate at the rear of the gear selector where optional switches could be fitted. I purchased the flip up covers to keep them dust free when not in use.