Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Accident

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
i had a similar accident where someone ran up the back of my old vn calais, the blokes insurance company were going to write if off, then changed their mind at the last moment and spent $5500 on repairing it.
spewing really, because if they wrote it off they would have given me what it was worth plus i would have still kept the car.

Mr_Slim

Personal Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais Manual
Well i just got the word that the car is ok. Rear end needs a doing over though. Rear bumper, rear guard, rails, and needs to be squared up.

And if it was a write off, then yes they would give me $5000 because thats how much its insured for.

ashzv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN v6 s2 Berlina 5spd
might be slightly off topic,

if someone crashes into you, or you crash into someone.
and it is written off.
do you get too keep your car and the insurnce company gives you money?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
might be slightly off topic,

if someone crashes into you, or you crash into someone.
and it is written off.
do you get too keep your car and the insurnce company gives you money?

from one of my experiences (the one mentioned a few posts above ^) yes, you keep your car IF your not at fault...meaning someone else runs into you and their insurance company pays for damages, or if its written off, you get paid the cars value and keep the car.
the insurance company of the other driver has no claim to your car, but they will report it as written off to the authorities and you wont be able to re-register it without alot of screwing around.
however if you are at fault in an accident and your insurance company decides it's a write off then they will take claim of you car and sell it at auction.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
from one of my experiences (the one mentioned a few posts above ^) yes, you keep your car IF your not at fault...meaning someone else runs into you and their insurance company pays for damages, or if its written off, you get paid the cars value and keep the car.
the insurance company of the other driver has no claim to your car, but they will report it as written off to the authorities and you wont be able to re-register it without alot of screwing around.
however if you are at fault in an accident and your insurance company decides it's a write off then they will take claim of you car and sell it at auction.

I suspect it depends on the details of your policy. I was under the impression that with any write off, the insurance company paid out the agreed/market value and took posession of the car. I dunno, though, I try to forget about my insurance company until premium time rolls around at which point they become a very real and obvious pain in my arse. Dang, never thought I'd say this, but being young has some disadvantages. Being able to run faster and drink more than the insurance people doesn't really help me. :)

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
it doesnt have anything to do with YOUR policy...i was talking about a crash where you arent at fault. the other persons insurance company is repsonsible for paying you, not your own, and if its a write off they have no claim to your car...so they have to pay you out and then you keep your car.
this is how it was explained to me when i was crashed into.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Actually that makes a lot of sense. Like I said, I try to avoid thinking about insurance matters.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
my gfs car got hit up the back at the lights and was a ride off, and they took her car. She could buy it back for a price.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
my gfs car got hit up the back at the lights and was a ride off, and they took her car. She could buy it back for a price.

she got rorted then, was the claim made with her insurance company, and then the her company went after the money from the person who ran into her? or did the person who ran into her have their insurance company settle the problem?