Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Accidentally filled up with E10

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
I once had a problem with my VN where my garage had a radical slope and I had reversed in with very low fuel in the tank. So when I went to start it next morning it wouldn't pick up fuel. Living at the time quite a way from the nearest servo, too far to walk, I thought, what to do? So I poured a full bottle of straight metho in the tank, it started straight up and drove perfectly normally to the servo.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
E10 has a 94 octane rating, your not saving nothing as it almost levels out with the cost of 91 in mileage, so why risk it.
91 still has ethanol but under 10% so they don't have to advertise it, this is why small garden equipment tell you to empty the tank and run the engine till it stops over winter / storage to stop the toffee like substance from blocking those little screens inside the carbie. This is the cause of most whipper snippers not starting after long storage unstarted with fuel lift in them.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
toffee like substance
never seen this ? since my car has been off the road i left 1/8 tank of E85 in it for 12 months and its still fine to use, i also have drums of E85 and use a fuel pump to get it out of the barrels to fill my car then i just leave the pump sit on the drum in my shed with any ethanol left in the hose/pump and it has never shown signs of anything bad and still after years fires right up as normal dosnt turn to sludge/syrup/toffee, maby its the 2 stroke oil that mixes bad with ethanol for garden stuff ?

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Never had a problem using E10 in VR, VS, V6, V8 and also used E85 for years when our VE V6 was new and it was at least 10 to 15 cents cheaper per litre. Now with E85 always priced higher, it is not worth it as we did loose some distance per tank. Only use E10 when it is at least 4 cents a litre cheaper.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Syrup?
WTF are you talking about? I guess there’s also bread and corn cobs in it too?
Says the man who thinks there a thermostat in a commodore transmission, syrup, plastic like substance, jell, toffee, who gives a ship, it still leaves a film of soft rubbery toffee like substance blocking the filter.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Says the man who thinks there a thermostat in a commodore transmission, syrup, plastic like substance, jell, toffee, who gives a ship, it still leaves a film of soft rubbery toffee like substance blocking the filter.
your talking about what petrol does when it goes off, nothing to do with ethanol, ever seen a petrol tank that has been left half full for a long time because the engine runs on gas ? even sloshing around in the tank with pump still running it turns the whole tank and fuel lines to sludge, ethanol dosnt do that it just evaporates

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
your talking about what petrol does when it goes off, nothing to do with ethanol, ever seen a petrol tank that has been left half full for a long time because the engine runs on gas ? even sloshing around in the tank with pump still running it turns the whole tank and fuel lines to sludge, ethanol dosnt do that it just evaporates
Wont effect cars as I stated small engines. It doesn't go off as such more to drying out stagnate, All petrol goes off.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
funny how most say ethanol damages hoses but yet our fuel hose supplier had to get there e85 hose remade as the new BP98 would eat thru it, but is perfectly fine with ethanol...
Interesting... some details would be great as something in BP98 must be reacting with the hoses. Maybe the filter catches the crap or maybe some dissolved sludge gets through... but odd how the petrol stations and the fuel supplier always say there is nothing wrong with their fuel when one’s car runs rough after a refill :oops:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Pure ethanol will fully evaporate but E10 & E85 do have storage issues. See fuel storage and handling factsheet