Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Achilles ATR Sport VS Hankook Ventus K114 or K110

Missjade17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina Series 2
I need some advice from someone who doesn't just want to sell me an expensive tyre!

I've been reading reviews on the Achilles ATR Sport, Hankook Ventus K114 and K110 tyres 245/45/18 and I still have no idea which one to get. I really just want a tyre that really grips in the wet.

Has anyone tried any of these? How do they handle in the wet and how many KMs did you get out of them? While it would be nice to save a bit of money, price isn't my main concern at the moment.

Last edited:

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
If you can't control a car around a corner you need more lessons perhaps not new tyres.

Missjade17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina Series 2
If you can't control a car around a corner you need more lessons perhaps not new tyres.

I understood how you could misconstrue what I meant by being a moderator as per your private message but to post this is plain rude and unhelpful. I joined Just Commodores to get some advice on, again, a SAFER option for my new tyres. You've just read one sentence and taken it out of context.

Maybe you should live by the saying "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
I need some advice from someone who doesn't just want to sell me an expensive tyre!

I've been reading reviews on the Achilles ATR Sport, Hankook Ventus K114 and K110 tyres 245/45/18 and I still have no idea which one to get. I really just want a tyre that really grips in the wet and not ones that slide out if you accelerate too hard around a corner like the ones on my VS.

Has anyone tried any of these? How do they handle in the wet and how many KMs did you get out of them? While it would be nice to save a bit of money, price isn't my main concern at the moment.

ATR's seem to be popluar at the moment. But if your having traction issues in the wet, the best and cheapest option is to be gentle on the throttle.

Missjade17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina Series 2
ATR's seem to be popluar at the moment. But if your having traction issues in the wet, the best and cheapest option is to be gentle on the throttle.

I am actually, someone could jog faster than I drive through a roundabout and the tyres sometimes still LOST TRACTION.
HENCE, wanting a good tyre for my VE, which brings me back to my original question. Those are the 3 tyres I'm trying to choose between and need some advice.

I have been reading a lot about the Achilles and will agree that they are pretty popular at the moment but the reviews have been very mixed. Do you know anything about the Hankook's?

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
If price isn't an issue, I would be looking at some better brands.

Having said that, I rate the Achilles tyres. Decent performance under standard conditions and a good price point.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
I am actually, someone could jog faster than I drive through a roundabout and the tyres sometimes still LOST TRACTION.
HENCE, wanting a good tyre for my VE, which brings me back to my original question. Those are the 3 tyres I'm trying to choose between and need some advice.

I have been reading a lot about the Achilles and will agree that they are pretty popular at the moment but the reviews have been very mixed. Do you know anything about the Hankook's?

Hankooks are little hit and miss.

Definately go the ATR's. Are your current tyres bald? Because anything will be better then bald.

Missjade17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina Series 2
If price isn't an issue, I would be looking at some better brands.

I've had an idea of getting 4x Hankook's and an Achilles on the spare. At the moment it's not an issue but then if I start looking at say Bridgestone then price will be! Having that set up I'm looking at $1100 at Jax and that's fitted, balance and aligned. Is Hankook really a better tyre? I know it's a reputable brand but that doesn't always mean something.

Missjade17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina Series 2
No, my current tyres on my VE, which is my daily driver, are brand new. The previous owner had put them on to sell the car. I, however, am putting my mags from my VS (my old car) onto my VE (my new car).

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
No, my current tyres on my VE, which is my daily driver, are brand new. The previous owner had put them on to sell the car. I, however, am putting my mags from my VS (my old car) onto my VE (my new car).

Hmm not good. What brand are they now? Would be good to know so others can steer clear.

ATR's are the recommended tyre from all the wheel shops and suspension/brake mobs. Go them ;)