Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Achilles Tyres

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
We run them on a few of our cars, and IMHO, they would be the best value for money tyres going.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
thought i'd update the thread, i just replaced the ATR2's i bought - they did alright. I will say that as they got close to worn out the steel came out of one. Now I did drive them right down so can't blame the tyre for that. Have changed to Sailun ZSR as with the popularity of the Achilles brand has meant that they've become over priced - JAX will be loving those sweet margins. I would not consider them at what they are charging. I'm sure the tyre snobs wouldn't buy them but at $140 a corner i'm willing to see how they go.

what i've bought - http://sailuntyres.com.au/plt/ZSR.html

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I had the ATR sport 1’s for quite a while and they were decent until they wore down about half way - then they were deadly in the wet.

Also just purchased ATR sport 2’s and they seem good - less aggressive tread design with nice circumferential grooves so should be quieter and much better in the wet. Had them on for about a week now and happy so far.

Also purchased some Mayrun tyres for another set of wheels but yet to fit them. They had good reviews online so can’t be too bad.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
this is what my ATR Sport 2 did as you can see it's worn right down. Might even be a little scrubbed on the inner where it lifted.

Didn't go flat and I was on the highway when it let go. As you can tell they were on the car for quite a long time as I already owned them when I posted about them nearly 5 years ago. Loved the grip on the twisties and never noticed a lack of grip as they wore down. However I think they've unfairly jumped out of the price bracket they were in and are nearly worth twice what I bought them for now.

8JTvJiE.jpg

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I paid $85.50 each for my atr sport 2’s in 235 40 18 through Supercheap Auto tyres/tyroola with free shipping. But I have a tyre changer, so don’t pay the $15 or so fitting for each tyre.

Going by your pic I’d say that damage wasn’t the tyres fault lol. I never wear them down that far in fear of getting defected. Plus they don’t grip the same as they once did

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I had the ATR sport 1’s for quite a while and they were decent until they wore down about half way - then they were deadly in the wet.

Also just purchased ATR sport 2’s and they seem good - less aggressive tread design with nice circumferential grooves so should be quieter and much better in the wet. Had them on for about a week now and happy so far.

Also purchased some Mayrun tyres for another set of wheels but yet to fit them. They had good reviews online so can’t be too bad.

Are you saying Mayrun tyres had good reviews online? If so, remind me to make choices based on internet reviews....Lost count on the number of these I've taken off cars, with inner cracking inside the tyre....I have also seen this cracking on the outer of the sidewall

It actually reminded me of either under pressured or under load rated for the car they were fitted to, yet neither of these were a factor with the tyres I removed....Or should I say with the load rating, according to the sidewall information

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah i had some Achilles Sports on the rear of the ute. I got sideways at 60kph on a wet road. Like EYY mine were about 1/2 worn. I paid 105 or 110 bucks for Kumhos. I wouldn't mess with cheap tyres anymore when decent ones are only 5 or 10 bucks more per tyre.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Are you saying Mayrun tyres had good reviews online? If so, remind me to make choices based on internet reviews....Lost count on the number of these I've taken off cars, with inner cracking inside the tyre....I have also seen this cracking on the outer of the sidewall

It actually reminded me of either under pressured or under load rated for the car they were fitted to, yet neither of these were a factor with the tyres I removed....Or should I say with the load rating, according to the sidewall information
My mistake they’re actually winrun.

Yep base my purchases off internet reviews. Gives me an idea on what to expect and which brands to steer well clear of.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
My mistake they’re actually winrun.

Yep base my purchases off internet reviews. Gives me an idea on what to expect and which brands to steer well clear of.

Winruns are worse than Mayruns from what I have seen.....But if you're happy with them, that's what matters