Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ACL Rehab

the_trademarc

The Cult Of Personality
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Members Ride
E-Series 1 Clubsport R8
Hey guys,

I'm curious to know if anyone here has done an ACL before? I've ruptured my ACL, PCL, Medials and torn my Calf muscle Wednesday night playing Indoor Footy, not liking the shock of not being able to do anything.

Got the MRI Monday to confirm all this, consultation with the surgeon Wednesday, but being quite built and active, and a fitness nut, I'm keen on starting rehab asap, don't want to lose too much muscle over the next 6-9 months.

Can anyone tell me what rehab process they went through? What it was like? What the surgery was like? How long it took to get back to 100%? I'm just looking for as much info as possible so I can hit this thing hard from Day 1.

Cheers,

H

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Kinng apparently did his ACL, but was back in the gym after 2 weeks.

lawl'd at that. Reaper has also done his.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Hey guys,

I'm curious to know if anyone here has done an ACL before? I've ruptured my ACL, PCL, Medials and torn my Calf muscle Wednesday night playing Indoor Footy, not liking the shock of not being able to do anything.

Got the MRI Monday to confirm all this, consultation with the surgeon Wednesday, but being quite built and active, and a fitness nut, I'm keen on starting rehab asap, don't want to lose too much muscle over the next 6-9 months.

Can anyone tell me what rehab process they went through? What it was like? What the surgery was like? How long it took to get back to 100%? I'm just looking for as much info as possible so I can hit this thing hard from Day 1.

Cheers,

H

Yours sounds waaaaay worse than mine. It'll be a while before the swelling goes down and you can do any weight/strength work. Good luck with it.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
I didnt do my ACL, but I dislocated my knee very badly and also managed to have some damage done to surrounding muscle and bone. I had surgery on the knee to remove some loose cartilage in the knee cap as well as screws in the knee and was on crutches for 6 months and was pretty immobile for around 10.

I was probably similar to you, I did mine during Gridiron and at the time was a regular gym goer. I got real lazy. I didnt want to do anything and Im paying for it now. Speak to your surgeon and physio and see what exercises they will let you do. I dont imagine youll be doing much of anything for atleast a few months. My recovery involved a lot of swimming. I found that great because it took the pressure of my knee but still allowed me to move it and stretch.

The biggest thing for me and still is, is the mental barrier. While my knee is now fine but squats and lunges still feel unnatural.

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I have torn my PCL & medial ligament in my left knee twice now. The first time in '91 and the second time in '07. They weren't so badly torn that they needed surgery either time but nonetheless, I had to wear a brace for a number of months both times. My leg lost lots of muscle each time due to in relative activity.

Sounds like you've done lots more damage though. It's good you're into fitness. It will help with the rehab. Just don't over do it too early.

I did get to play a couple of years of basketball and 12 years of gridiron after doing it the first time.

My medial is pretty good now. Apparently they have good blood flow so heal well. My PCL on the otherhand still gives me grief from time to time. Any substantial running, leg work at the gym etc will have me paying with general stiffness / soreness for a couple of days. Can also just get sore for no obvious reason.

Good luck.

the_trademarc

The Cult Of Personality
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Members Ride
E-Series 1 Clubsport R8
Thanks guys,

Looks like I have to just be patient with it. That's going to be the biggest hurdle for me. I'm not one to not do anything for extended periods of time.

Grennan- that's my main concern, I don't want to develop any bad lifestyle habits that will take ages to get over. Starting fresh after 6 months at the gym won't be easy either. 6 months is a long time on crutches! I was told 2 weeks after surgery I should be right to walk.

The mental challenge will be the toughest. Won't be easy. I'm looking at different options to traditional, artificial could be an option, not going to be playing any more contact sport (just cricket and working out) so it might be an option for me.

How long did it take before anyone could drive again??

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
Hey trademarc, I tore my acl playing indoor cricket. The lowdown is that your muscle will not last. It really does go away quite fast. Once you have your op you will be walking fairly quickly and starting physio. The most important thing is not to overdo it and get basic confidence in your knee. Also dont just focus on strength, flexibility is important too and is some thing I still have issues with (6 years later) it just seems that the knee dosnt like doing certain things but is fine with others.

Typed on S3

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
My size may have had something to do with it as well as the actual injury. I was 110kg at the time of me doing it so they were worried about me doing any damage to it. Being a muscle tear, theres not as much structural injury I spose. I never did my ACL, mine was a dislocation and bone injury so my times will probably vary.

Look at low impact workouts. Cycling and Swimming are by far the best. Low impact, will get your legs moving and are great for cardio.

Take it slow. Small milestones will be the key. If you go to hard and hurt yourself youll do more damage to mind and your body.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Thanks guys,

Looks like I have to just be patient with it. That's going to be the biggest hurdle for me. I'm not one to not do anything for extended periods of time.

Grennan- that's my main concern, I don't want to develop any bad lifestyle habits that will take ages to get over. Starting fresh after 6 months at the gym won't be easy either. 6 months is a long time on crutches! I was told 2 weeks after surgery I should be right to walk.

The mental challenge will be the toughest. Won't be easy. I'm looking at different options to traditional, artificial could be an option, not going to be playing any more contact sport (just cricket and working out) so it might be an option for me.

How long did it take before anyone could drive again??

Walking isn't really the problem. It's any twisting motion what so ever that you know about quick smart. Getting in/out of the car was absolute murder. Mine needed no surgery and I didn't stop driving (was left footed though) throughout (not recommended). I didn't need surgery nor have anywhere near the damage you seem to have. Cycling did help me get strength back into the joint relatively quickly as it is low impact and doesn't have the twisting problem.

velj

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ve sv6 ute
I did the lot full knee reco acl medical ligaments dinted the bone my knee cap was all over the place was a mess, I had a brace over my knee for a week or two also on crutch's then I was able to walk I could walk after the first week and a half,
But it felt funny and was unstable,
Rehab was Physio every week and massages to get the blood clots and bruises out!
Then slowly building the muscle up because you loose a fair bit in ur leg I lost a inch of muscle in my thigh,
But now it's all good in the gym running, bike squats but don't do leg extensions that's not good for it!