Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ACL Rehab

the_trademarc

The Cult Of Personality
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Members Ride
E-Series 1 Clubsport R8
Appreciate all the advice. Helps me heaps. I'll keep the thread updated after my MRI and Surgical consult next week, hopefully get some more feedback and early stages rehab tips.

Cheers,

the_trademarc

The Cult Of Personality
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Members Ride
E-Series 1 Clubsport R8
Does anyone have any first hand experience using LARS? I've got either option at the moment, leaning towards LARS but it'll cost me an extra $3500.

Recovery time would be much quicker and I'll be 100% for the start of cricket season, but a couple people I've spoken too have reservations about it. I can't seem to find much on the internet going against LARS aside from the cost and the lack of long-term study into the procedure.

Any ideas and feedback would be great. Cheers,

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
i have not had experience with LARS or surgeries or the like.
although years ago I did decide to completely split my knee open thanks to bike riding :s
so kinda know what its like to just be sitting there for a while.

just remember this. you have busted your leg.
doesn't mean you have to give up all Gym work and the likes.
speak to a professional and see what they recommend about if going back and working on other areas that aren't effected would be like.
for example. you have an able upper body without injury (hopefully) see if you can work on that while waiting.
atleast then you're doing something, which would be better then nothing

and goodluck with the healing

the_trademarc

The Cult Of Personality
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Members Ride
E-Series 1 Clubsport R8
Anyone have post-op issues with straightening out the knee?

Had the surgery Tuesday using the hammy, everything went well- still on painkillers. It's the most sore in the mornings.

Had my first physio session on Friday, said I pulled up well but need to work on straightening my knee otherwise I'll have problems once the graft settles. I've been doing a shitload of exercises all day to work on this.

Did anyone have this issue, and how long did it take to get the knee straightened out?

FYI- I got back in the gym 2 weeks after I did the ACL, so it is possible! Off work for a couple more weeks then have a lot of muscle mass to get back! Already dropped 4 kg in a month.

Shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute
Does anyone have any first hand experience using LARS? I've got either option at the moment, leaning towards LARS but it'll cost me an extra $3500.

I'm certain when I had my ACL re-construction it was LARS. Straight after surgery I could walk quite easily and could start running four months after the operation.

EDIT: I didn't read properly..... you went the hammy.

Basically my experience with re-hab was similar to most comments.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned after surgery the fluid drain in the knee with the bag strapped to side of the leg :)

Corey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec S2
There's some good studies on bilateral transfer during rehab. Results show that if you still do weights on the good side of your body your bad side will still get some of the benefits (although still have an overall decline) and when you are able to start using it again you'll have that higher base than if you did nothing

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
I've had 3 knee injuries.

Age 16 (Left Knee): Ruptured ACL, Stage 2 mcl tear, meniscus torn, cartilage torn, patella dislocated. 6-18 months rehab
Age 19 (Right Knee) Ruptured ACL. 9 months of half baked rehab.
Age 21 ( Right Knee) Ruptured acl due to not doing rehab properly.

I had no brace, was walking straight after surgery, getting your knee to straighten within the first 3 months is paramount and make sure you do your rehab properly to avoid doing it again! and only go to sport when YOU know your ready not what the doctor says not what the physio says. just you.