Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Acrylic blending thinners

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have some blending thinners but it's not clear it looks like it has oil in it. I haven't used it as I threw way the mix when it looked yellow. Does this gear go off, or has it been put in a contaminated tin?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Thinners shouldn't no. When I used to do flooring we just used metho in the epoxy I think acrylic needs turps from memory but I have never used acrylic.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I have done a test spray on my work bench AKA old kitchen cupboard and it has stayed a yellow colour. I am just going to use general purpose thinners and blend it best I can.
I suspect it has had fuel or oil in the can it was poured into.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Acrylic Lacquer needs Lacquer thinners. Turps is not suitable.
Never heard of blending thinners but it has been a long time since I sprayed acrylic lacquer.
Was talking to a mate only yesterday about spray guns.
AFAIK lacquer thinners shouldn't go off.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Blending thinners helps it blend in. It bites the new paint to the old. You may not have heard of it as it's not really available anymore. Either way I think the gear I have is contaminated and is now no good. The general purpose thinners I have seems to be blending ok, it's probably just a tad strong.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Blending thinners helps it blend in. It bites the new paint to the old. You may not have heard of it as it's not really available anymore. Either way I think the gear I have is contaminated and is now no good. The general purpose thinners I have seems to be blending ok, it's probably just a tad strong.
It sounds like it has an acid in it then and yea that might go off.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Generally called fadeout thinner, but not commonly used as most of the time you'd be respraying an entire panel. Normal acrylic thinner will generally work fine to help blend a little but isn't absolutely necessary.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I spoke to the fa in law about the fade out thinners and said it has a brown tinge from new. Bizzar because it made the mix off white and the test spray stayed off white. Maybe it would be fine in dark tints but not in white, I don't think.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis

Yeah, nope never heard of it back in the 80's. Normal lacquer thinners was all that was required for touch ups on Acrylic Lacquer finishes.