Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Acrylic Clear Problem

EJVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hi All.
I've just painted a set of rear park assist sensors with acrylic metallic silver (Nitrate).
They came up very well, but then I applied a few coats of acrylic clear, and the housing bezels surrounding the flat circular sensors went cloudy (they actually look a bit like grey primer now). The circular flat sensors themselves have come up great.

Has anyone got any ideas what might have happened ? Or perhaps how I can fix it !
Rgds,
Andrew.

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
parking sensors dont like thick clear either, give them a sand with wet 800 to get the thickness down and start again.
thin your clear down a lil bit more and just give it a light coat to just give it some shine.

EJVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Thanks for the suggestions.
I don't think it went on too thick. I actually just pust 3 or 4 very light coats on. It's fine on the flat part of the sensor, but was almost opaque on the bezel surrounds. Anyway, I managed to just rub the opaque stuff off the surrounds, and they came up perfect. Not sure what it was ? Maybe propellant ?

The sensors actually came with a warning "Do Not Paint". But I had no choice since they were the wrong colour. After painting, I tested them before drilling the rear bar to make sure they still worked correctly. They did, so I drilled the rear bar and installed them. Pretty handy on a ute with a high hard lid.........almost zero visibility out the back. No excuses for hitting anything now !

Thanks again.
Rgds,
Andrew.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
I don't know about the parking sensors, but I painted some interior plastic bits outside the other week and the clear ended up cloudy. I believe it was too cold, next day I repainted them and brought them inside near the heater and they turned out mint!