Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adaptive cruise control

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Just a thought.......... has anyone tried to fit adaptive cruise control to their VF? The ZB has it, so maybe there's a way of raiding the ZB parts bin and throwing the relevant bits onto the VF. I have no idea really what's involved in doing this, but it's about the only thing I can think of that's missing from my beloved Calais V. The standard cruise control is alright, but adaptive cruise control would be so much better...

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I think you will find alot of that will reside in the bcm/ecu and you wont be able to retrofit it from the zb.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Yes, that's what I was afraid of.........

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
My Wife's Astra has adaptive cruise and I've also done some big trips in ZB's with it. Personally I'm not a big fan of it. I like autonomous braking from a safety perspective. But, on the freeway, adaptive cruise has a big nuisance factor for me, as it slows down continuously, when there is a slower car ahead. You know those numpty drivers who cruise or fly past you, only to pull into your lane and slow down to a speed slower than yours.
I don't always notice this unless the car ahead brakes and as such loose speed and time.
If I set cruise at 115kph, I want it to hold 115kph. If there's a slower car ahead, I'll either change lanes or brake and wait until I can change. I know you can do this with Adaptive cruise, but unless you're constantly checking the speedo, you don't notice it. I also think there is an even greater risk of zoning out and falling asleep with adaptice cruise.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
I think some of this was being discussed previously with @TazzI when he was looking at implanting an Acadia MyLink system (or was it Colorado?) as a replacement onto the VF MyLink system, and whether that system would bring out the bells and whistles from an Acadia onto the VF. The autonomous braking I would assume uses the same camera that exists the rear view mirror which already gives us alerts if we are getting too close to the car in front. Hopefully this may eventuate. :)

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I think some of this was being discussed previously with @TazzI when he was looking at implanting an Acadia MyLink system (or was it Colorado?) as a replacement onto the VF MyLink system, and whether that system would bring out the bells and whistles from an Acadia onto the VF. The autonomous braking I would assume uses the same camera that exists the rear view mirror which already gives us alerts if we are getting too close to the car in front. Hopefully this may eventuate. :)

He is working with the current gen colorado infotainment system and it is a totally separate system to the adaptive cc system.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
My Wife's Astra has adaptive cruise and I've also done some big trips in ZB's with it. Personally I'm not a big fan of it. I like autonomous braking from a safety perspective. But, on the freeway, adaptive cruise has a big nuisance factor for me, as it slows down continuously, when there is a slower car ahead. You know those numpty drivers who cruise or fly past you, only to pull into your lane and slow down to a speed slower than yours.
I don't always notice this unless the car ahead brakes and as such loose speed and time.
If I set cruise at 115kph, I want it to hold 115kph. If there's a slower car ahead, I'll either change lanes or brake and wait until I can change. I know you can do this with Adaptive cruise, but unless you're constantly checking the speedo, you don't notice it. I also think there is an even greater risk of zoning out and falling asleep with adaptice cruise.
I used it in the UK, in a Gen7.5 Golf and a Jag XE ... loved it in the Golf, not so much a fan in the Jag.
But they’re much better drivers than Australians, they don’t all feel the need to be tut-tutting nannies blocking the fast lane should anyone dare travel at over the limit.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
I thought about making one adaptive cruise control by using the signals from the collision avoidance system to enhance the existing cruise control.

The collision detection system light (little car) goes green when a car is detected and Amber when it is getting too close. This could be used to tell the cruise control to reduce speed until the little car goes green or desapear.

My ideia is to create a device which gets the collision avoidance system signal from CAN ( cluster or HUD ) and control the original cruise control to act as an adaptive one.

Lots of thinking, not much action. Maybe one day.

The hardest part is to reverse engineer the CAS signals . It shouldn’t be very hard to do.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
You will also need to add a radar at the front of the vehicle as the camera does not do all the work for the adaptive cruise control.