Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adding a AN fitting to this

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
62DFD12F-6528-48B2-A484-CA13948E3D12.jpeg

Keen for some advice on adding an AN fitting to connect up a hose to these trans cooler pip

I don’t have experience with them, so keen to get some ideas.

I want to cut the pipe before the hoses to add a barbed AN fitting. One with an olive maybe? I have a pipe cutter so no swarth. Will flush it regardless.

What size fitting would I use? Outer diameter of the pipe is 9.5mm.
Why? To add two trans hoses to an external cooler. It never gets super cold here and is either mild or incinerator hot.

Other idea I have is to disconnect the hose at the quick connect and just push on a hose over the ridge in the pipe and hose clamp it. Is that safe or acceptable? I don’t want it looking too bodgy.

Yes I plan on bypassing the radiator and using a good size cooler. It doesn’t snow here

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
It just occurred to me I could use some braided hose off the cooler and terminate the ends with a quick connect that pushes onto that pipe just as the GM fitting would? Have I got that right?

Again, I’ve not used AN fittings before but I’m able to learn new things well and have used similar fittings for water in my trade.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
So the hardline would be 3/8ths? (9.5mm)

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
88C8D832-094F-4F7F-9550-928A4B61F815.jpeg

65437AC0-873E-406C-83D9-2F2E9F8F06FF.jpeg

AC82F523-ACBC-42E6-95DD-5FDB8B805F1C.jpeg

I’ve found these but not sure what’s what?
3/8ths to AN-6?
I’d need female then braided hose off that to the cooler?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
It just occurred to me I could use some braided hose off the cooler and terminate the ends with a quick connect that pushes onto that pipe just as the GM fitting would?
On my vt (yes l know its not a ve, but same idea but not exactly the same).

top pipe comes out of tranny, (l think) goes to top of radiator, then a bit lower down goes to other side of radiator, then lower down comes out of radiator, pipe then changes to flexible hose, then through body work on passenger side of car, then across the back of external trans cooler, & into the top of ex t. cooler, then comes out the bottom of e. t. cooler, then back through where the flexible hose came through the body work on passenger side of car, across the front of the radiator & then back to trans .

Going through the radiator helps bring the trans up to operating temp.

On mine there is thermo switch going into the external cooler, which is hooked up to a fan, comes on at l think 175 f ?, turns off at 160 f ?
Can't remember the correct temps but the temps are examples. Really only needed if your parked in traffic. If car is moving it'll keep the trans cool.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
This will be on the VZ Cross8.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I did think about a thermo fan. That will be later down the track. I have run the trans the same way as you have in all my past cars except for my Subi Touring wagon. I changed that to bypass the factory trans cooler and solved my overheating problems off road. It never affected daily driving.

They were all a bit more straight forward having barbed hard lines.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
AN -6 is 3/8 or 10mm if u use a hardline male flare fitting to the end, then u do what ever AN from then on, prob teflon braided for trans would be good