Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adding a Network Drive to XP Start Menu

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
Hey guys, im pretty sure there must be a simple solution to this but at work I have a network drive in My Computer, I would like to have this on the Start Menu.

Is there a way?

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
Prob the best way would be to create a shortcut to the drive and copy it into the start menu folders in c:\docs and settings\"user name"\start menu (Windows XP)

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
net use [{DEVICE | *}] [\\COMPUTER\SHARE[\VOL]] [{PASSWORD | *}]] [/USER:[DOMAIN\]USER] [/USER:[DOTTEDDOMAIN\]USER] [/USER: [USER@DOTTEDDOMAIN] [/SAVECRED] [/SMARTCARD] [{/DELETE | /PERSISTENT:{yes | no}}]

This will map a network drive via a unc path...

or there is the pussies way!
Browse to the computer/device you want to map as a share, right click the "shared folder" and click the map as network drive button which will assign it a Drive letter then and you can install stuff/use it as a local disc, its just slower..

From here you create a shortcut to the Drive on the start menu.

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
net use [{DEVICE | *}] [\\COMPUTER\SHARE[\VOL]] [{PASSWORD | *}]] [/USER:[DOMAIN\]USER] [/USER:[DOTTEDDOMAIN\]USER] [/USER: [USER@DOTTEDDOMAIN] [/SAVECRED] [/SMARTCARD] [{/DELETE | /PERSISTENT:{yes | no}}]

This will map a network drive via a unc path...

or there is the pussies way!
Browse to the computer/device you want to map as a share, right click the "shared folder" and click the map as network drive button which will assign it a Drive letter then and you can install stuff/use it as a local disc, its just slower..

From here you create a shortcut to the Drive on the start menu.

Dude, he has it in my computer already (it is already mapped), he just wants a shortcut in his start menu.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
Thanks guys thats exactly what I was looking for.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
Actually, I tried it today and its good but not where I wanted it, I wanted it to list under my computer in the start menu, at the moment its at the start of all programs

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
O.k. here is another way you could do it.

Create the shortcut as described, left click + hold the mouse button and drag it to the start button (don't let go yet), the menu will apear and then you could drag it to the pinned items list which is up the top on the left hand side of the start menu.

You may have something like outlook and IE there already.

A small plack line will appear, let the button go and the shortcut should drop onto the pinned items area.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
O.k. here is another way you could do it.

Create the shortcut as described, left click + hold the mouse button and drag it to the start button (don't let go yet), the menu will apear and then you could drag it to the pinned items list which is up the top on the left hand side of the start menu.

You may have something like outlook and IE there already.

A small plack line will appear, let the button go and the shortcut should drop onto the pinned items area.

it still won't let me put anything there, is there some option to allow it?